S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CV joint failure, why exactly?

Old 05-27-2022, 10:23 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd be looking for a polyurea grease as original - for the long term stability, temperature/oxidation resistance that they offer - but specced with a heavier initial base oil rather than a lithium* base with excessive amounts of solid moly or ptfe additives.

Over this side of the pond that'd be something like Polytemp XL, Fuch XHD 2, Shaffer 278, etc, but you'll probably struggle to get those off the shelf in anything less than NGLI 2 - you can get Mobil 221 in various grades all the way down to semi fluid (I use it in the front suspension in 00 grade) and that has a 200+cst base oil, probably worth a look too ('cause they do a version with just a small amount of moly too for shock loading if you're highly loading things with high power/track abuse).

*(Don't get me wrong here there's nothing wrong with lithium or lithium complex greases for the application, but they don't have the long term stability/oxidation resistance, etc, that the OE polyurea types offer, fine if you're changing more often, my race grease is lithium complex and 1/4 moly additives, but it's something that needs changing more regularly - and would clog the hell outta needle bearings after overheating them)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:40 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Beside the green Polyure grease from John Deere, i found this one here in Germany: https://www.ato24.de/de/huskey-mp-2-...-396-9-gr.html

Some guys in a german Honda Forum have used their own Mixture, they used Gear oil as thinner to get some CV grease thinner for the tripods.. or so.. i would not reccomend it. But at least GL5 gear oil should have a good EP additive package.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:49 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Anybody have this?
https://www.nlgi.org/downloads/greas...elocity-joint/
If you click at it, you could read the first page. interesting....

If you do a google search wich grease is the best or suitable for Tripod CV joints, you will find about zero usefull information. Some people also use the redline CV2 grease. There are no negative reports about it, so far.
But people dont write that they have screwed things up in Internet forums, usually...

I found some threads in the german SAAB community. The members there simply use the NLGI 2 grade Mos2 grease used for the outer CV Joints also in the inner tripod joints, because most of them dont know better.
This is a No-go, theretical, as we discussed here. But the reports are very postive. As allways with reports in internet forums, take this information with a grain of salt, as you say...
GKN makes a special grease for inner tripods. And Honda has changed the formula of the grease, maybe. The new grease wich comes with the Boot sets is mustard Yellow. I have it in the Attic, stored away. Maybe i take a closer look at it.

After reading the positive expirience in this Forum, i have used the Redline CV2 grease in the inner and outer joints. And i dont see a reason to change it. I will wait and see.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort
I'd be looking for a polyurea grease as original - for the long term stability, temperature/oxidation resistance that they offer - but specced with a heavier initial base oil rather than a lithium* base with excessive amounts of solid moly or ptfe additives.

Over this side of the pond that'd be something like Polytemp XL, Fuch XHD 2, Shaffer 278, etc, but you'll probably struggle to get those off the shelf in anything less than NGLI 2 - you can get Mobil 221 in various grades all the way down to semi fluid (I use it in the front suspension in 00 grade) and that has a 200+cst base oil, probably worth a look too ('cause they do a version with just a small amount of moly too for shock loading if you're highly loading things with high power/track abuse).

*(Don't get me wrong here there's nothing wrong with lithium or lithium complex greases for the application, but they don't have the long term stability/oxidation resistance, etc, that the OE polyurea types offer, fine if you're changing more often, my race grease is lithium complex and 1/4 moly additives, but it's something that needs changing more regularly - and would clog the hell outta needle bearings after overheating them)
As for the Schaeffer 219 - the correct one would be the one with the red cap, if you stick to NLGI1.
https://stores.buy1oils.com/schaeffe...1-or-2-1-tube/

Here's the right GKN tripod joint grease (the site also refers to the proper cv joint grease from GKN).
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6130