S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cutting the front AP1 bumper for CAI vent.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting the front AP1 bumper for CAI vent.

Hey guys, i have had an AEM v1 for a while now, and want to cut out the fake plastic vent on the AP1 front bumper, because the air filter is right behind it. I would hope to get more airflow at higher speeds, only problem is rain. Which brings me to my question, does anyone know of a good way to plug it up for rain? Sound like a good idea or not?
Any input is welcome.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not necessary to open up that fake duct. The AEM filter gets all the air it needs. Because that's not a sealed compartment, you're not going to get much ram air effect anyway. As is, the filter will get very filthy anytime the roads are wet. Opening the duct up will only make the filter get dirtier, faster.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Thanks xviper, you always seem to have a logical answer to everything.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 23 2006, 08:09 PM
It's not necessary to open up that fake duct. The AEM filter gets all the air it needs. Because that's not a sealed compartment, you're not going to get much ram air effect anyway. As is, the filter will get very filthy anytime the roads are wet. Opening the duct up will only make the filter get dirtier, faster.
i also have them aem v1. cutting the vent in front of the filter will not help.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM

I cut mine out and think it looks very nice. While everyone says it doesn't help, it seems logical to me that it would help. Why wouldn't a constant cooler airflow help? Sure the intake is still going to suck up the same amount of air, and the air isn't as hot as in the engine. But it will be even cooler with constand airflow. I will try to take a pic to show what I did.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:35 PM

There IS a constant air flow through that compartment with or without the duct being cut. Next time you're in there, take a good look. There are gill slits on the underside, gaps at the side and in the rear. Do you think that if AEM thought it a requirement to cut that fake air duct, that they wouldn't tell you to do so in their instructions? The air coming through those slits on the bottom supplies all the air the engine needs AND a constant air flow. Air doesn't have to be fed in from the front to create flow.

If you've cut yours, then great, but don't try to convince others that it's "better".
Old 01-24-2006, 06:11 AM

I cut mine too. I can't say that it is better. I am sure it probably doesn't make much difference but to answer the first guys question I put grilletech sides to cover the holes.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 AM

I didn't cut the entire thing because You have to have something to screw into but here's a pic to give you an idea.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 23 2006, 11:35 PM
There IS a constant air flow through that compartment with or without the duct being cut. Next time you're in there, take a good look. There are gill slits on the underside, gaps at the side and in the rear. Do you think that if AEM thought it a requirement to cut that fake air duct, that they wouldn't tell you to do so in their instructions? The air coming through those slits on the bottom supplies all the air the engine needs AND a constant air flow. Air doesn't have to be fed in from the front to create flow.

If you've cut yours, then great, but don't try to convince others that it's "better".
I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just stated my opinion on the matter. And those "air ducts" you mention don't allow an airflow. Atleast not for AP2's. The tiny, three ducts, face backwards. As in the holes face towards the back of the car. So unless your going in reverse air won't "flow" in there. Only way a little bit of air might flow in is at the very back side of the radiator there is a little slit that leads to that box with the cai.

To me it is all just common sense. If you get a box, put 3 little slits on the bottom facing towards the rear(not the front), and put a slip in the back right side. Put some kind of heating source, like the air coming from the engine. Because I am sure that air does flow from your engine bay to where the CAI is, its just not AS hot as the engine bay. Put all this into a wind tunnel. Get inside temps. Then cut out openings in the front of the box, directly letting air in, it will cool down.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:51 AM

Sorry, but I've had enough of this. You believe what you want and you tell yourself what your "common sense" tells you. If you are happy in your ideas of how things work, good for you.

ps. You have one HUGE flaw in your conceptualized model but since you "know what you're talking about", I won't tell you what it is.

Quick Reply: Cutting the front AP1 bumper for CAI vent.