S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

crumbling radiator fins

Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crumbling radiator fins

Just took my air box off to have a look for rust etc ans to give it a clean up.

The bottom rear face of the raditor has the aluminium fins crumbling. they do look good near the top? Is this caused by damp over the years slowly corroding away?

I don't think its leaking (not had car long) coolant reservoir is halfway between min max and always 3 bars on dash when warmed up. So do I change it now? be warmer in summer! or just leave and wait and see?

Another thing as I was taking a look. The radiator in front is that for the A/C? as some aluminium fins have broken free or protrude the rad body and sort of flap around. Should I cut these off? theory is wobbling bit will loose the rest of the fin still attached. Also I assume this is less detrimental to safe running of the car? I don't use A/C much, for one its not that warm here, so reducing cooling efficient of the rad won't affect me or more importantly the car much, right?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might get away with it for quite awhile but if it were me I'd replace it and chalk it up as preventive maintanance.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by JackS
You might get away with it for quite awhile but if it were me I'd replace it and chalk it up as preventive maintanance.
It looks a straight forward job? drain coolant, undo 3 electrical connections, remove 2 top mounts, unclip 2 hoses and pull up and out. swap 2 fans over and replace?

another question I had was, what does the electrical connector do at the bottom of the rad?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

those fins don't usually cause leaks as the are just laid in between the tubes that carry the fluid, and the fins are generally weak. If your radiator eventually leaks it will likely start at the top plastic tank before the metal areas.

Changing the rad is very easy though, much like you describe. The connector at the base of the rad is the rad fan switch.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:40 PM

replace replace
Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

Got pics of how bad it is? I'd probably just replace it.

And yes, the "radiator" in front of your radiator is for the A/C. It's called the condenser.

I just posted a thread this morning with a bunch of radiator specials. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/922...p-your-s-cool/
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Got pics of how bad it is? I'd probably just replace it.

And yes, the "radiator" in front of your radiator is for the A/C. It's called the condenser.

I just posted a thread this morning with a bunch of radiator specials. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/922...p-your-s-cool/
I'll take a photo tomorrow and post.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if they are crumbling or just bent?

They sell little tools like this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...ner-37892.html

They could help unbend them again. But if they are literally crumbling away then a new one is the only way.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2003AP1
I dont know if they are crumbling or just bent?

They sell little tools like this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...ner-37892.html

They could help unbend them again. But if they are literally crumbling away then a new one is the only way.
Yeah, when i run my finger fip between the pipes on the fines, I pull my finger away and there are little pieces of aluminium. Not dust sized but a few millimetres long. You can feeling these bits crumbling off as you run your finger. feels very brittle/fragile. I'll post a photo later.

thanks for the link. Worth getting one as can do others cars to. but this is no good on mine at present. good aluminium fins feel sharp edged and like metal. mine are more like gritty and blunt. I don't think engine cooling is seriously affect yet as never get above 3 bars. Though fans may be coming on more often to compensate. Also fins high up are good.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

probably not a good idea, but I would probably just use that radiator until it started leaking. Then buy a alluminum aftermarket one. But thats me.

Quick Reply: crumbling radiator fins