S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

cruising in neutral

Old 03-31-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I am not an expert but I believe coasting will damage the transmission. The only way fluid circulates is from the counter shaft rotating in the fluid and carrying it up to the main shaft. If the car is in neutral the counter shaft will not turn. The fluid will settle to the bottom of the transmission. Now you are going 50-70 MPH with the main shaft spinning like hell and no fluid being circulated. This has to cause damage to the bearings and other trans parts.

I also read an article on a bonneville salt flat run where to guy accidently took the car out of gear when slowing from the high end. He then put it back in gear to avoid trans damage. I don't know if it has any relation but there must be something to it.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KSpaYellow,Mar 31 2006, 09:41 PM
OK, I am not an expert but I believe coasting will damage the transmission. The only way fluid circulates is from the counter shaft rotating in the fluid and carrying it up to the main shaft. If the car is in neutral the counter shaft will not turn. The fluid will settle to the bottom of the transmission. Now you are going 50-70 MPH with the main shaft spinning like hell and no fluid being circulated. This has to cause damage to the bearings and other trans parts.

I also read an article on a bonneville salt flat run where to guy accidently took the car out of gear when slowing from the high end. He then put it back in gear to avoid trans damage. I don't know if it has any relation but there must be something to it.
The S2000 tranny has a low pressure fluid pump. Spinning, even at idle, would still work the pump. That Bonneville car may not have had a pump in the tranny.

Nevertheless, are you sure the counter shaft won't turn? (I'm asking because I'm not sure and because I'm being a smartass.) I thought that in neutral, clutch out, the engine spins all parts of the tranny except the output shaft and as long as the car is moving the rear wheels drives that.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by payyourtoll,Mar 31 2006, 01:03 PM
xvip-1
xman-0
Old 03-31-2006, 10:22 PM

I'm curious, because I've never heard that the injectors shut off when you drive in gear with the throttle closed down a hill. With no fuel, what keeps the engine running? Surely the ignition shuts down as well. Does the engine just operate as an air pump of sorts, letting fresh air in and out with no combustion?

Edit - I have noticed also, that with some cars (including my friend's S with HKS exhaust) the exhaust noise is loudest when you are in gear and off the gas.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 31 2006, 10:15 PM
Nevertheless, are you sure the counter shaft won't turn? (I'm asking because I'm not sure and because I'm being a smartass.) I thought that in neutral, clutch out, the engine spins all parts of the tranny except the output shaft and as long as the car is moving the rear wheels drives that.
I should have specified clutch in. With the clutch release the input shaft will turn and thus turn the counter shaft.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On page 17-18 in my helms it says you can get an EPS DTC when the engine speed is 500 RPM or less and the vehicle is traveling at a speed of 6.2 mph (10km) or more for about 3 min. That would be pretty unlikely as 3 min seems like a while.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Mar 31 2006, 09:13 AM
coasting to a stop
I do this sometimes.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by S2KSpaYellow,Mar 31 2006, 11:55 PM
I should have specified clutch in. With the clutch release the input shaft will turn and thus turn the counter shaft.
The input shaft is splined to the clutch disk. Dis-engage the clutch, the clutch disk may spin less.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 1 2006, 12:15 AM
The S2000 tranny has a low pressure fluid pump. Spinning, even at idle, would still work the pump. That Bonneville car may not have had a pump in the tranny.

I was under the impression the counter shaft would spin no matter what, since it's mated to the propellor shaft and rear wheels. isn't the counter shaft where the VSS gets its reading? I mean after all, I dont suddenly take the car into neutral and let out the clutch, and the speedo drops to 0.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=BryanH,Apr 1 2006, 12:22 AM] I'm curious, because I've never heard that the injectors shut off when you drive in gear with the throttle closed down a hill.

Quick Reply: cruising in neutral