S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cruise Control and Brake Pedal Sensor

Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Cruise Control and Brake Pedal Sensor

Being the fool that I am, I messed up my cruise control by tweaking the bracket that the brake pedal sensor is mounted too. I jerked it around like a mindless monkey, testing to see how much play it had before I adjusted the pedal, not knowing that the pedal sensor had to be, um, "calibrated". I'm sure some may already know the below info and that someone with a good service manual could figure it out, but I'll repost to hopefully make it easier to find.

The S2000 cruise control depends on a 2 position sensor on the brake pedal. If the button is fully depressed, it will not work. There should be a small gap between the sensor button housing and the pedal.

In practice, its easier to tighten the button down all the way until it's touching and then back it off a bit by guessing. Then check the two terminals in the cruise control module to ensure the the right pin sees voltage on and then off the pedal.

Brake pedal adjustment page:

Testing the switch at the module, pins 2 and 5

Why I messed with it:
My brake pedal was even with the clutch pedal, and when depressing the brake, it was almost impossible to heel toe and achieve enough throttle pedal travel to be effective. The pedal was simply to high, and lowering it makes it much easier.

In other cars (such as my WRX), the brake being higher is fine because the pedal sinks deeper with pressure, usually firming up about the right height for blipping the throttle. In the S2K, the pedal is so firm, there is practically almost no pedal travel in the functional range, it reacts to pressure without actually moving much.

I knew all this as soon as I bought the car, but assumed it was me that was uneducated, there was no way the car was at fault. I've learned to trust myself a bit more