S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cross drilled, slotted rotor's....A question....Not Stupid I Hope....

Old 02-08-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross drilled, slotted rotor's....A question....Not Stupid I Hope....

Wesoloh Honda just installed some of the above mentioned rotors that I received from a group buy sponsored by Beanolo a while back.

The stock pads stayed on the car and have 7800 miles on them. My right rear brake is making a bunch of noise (scraping noise) when brake pressure is applied.....

Question: Is there a break-in period for the rotor's? Why is only the right rear making noise? Are there other pads more suitable for this application?

The service guy when I picked up the car said the pads weren't fully "seated" yet and suggested a few spirited 60-0 stops to correct the problem....

150 canyon miles later (mucho hard braking)....No improvement...

Is it possible the fine mechanics at Wesoloh make a mistake re-installing the brakes?

Or more likely a faulty rotor?

Your input is appreciated..... morgan
Old 02-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Hmmm.

There are break-in periods for rotors, but you should have full broken them in after those 150mi of canyon roads. If you engaged the ABS but a few times, it was more than enough pressure. It also helps to drag your brakes - just don't load the engine too much.

You might try replacing your pads, as they have worn according to the shape of your old rotors. When you use them for new rotors, which have a different wear pattern (none at all), you won't have a true contact surface. That may be causing your scraping noise.

If that's the problem, you may have to turn your new rotors when you replace the pads, as the problem has been reversed: New pads on "old" rotor equals mismatched wear patterns.

You could get some dial indicators or some mics and check your rotor for any deep/shallow spots.

Is it just a scraping noise, or a metal-on-metal grinding?

I doubt the mechanics screwed up on the install, but it's usually a good idea to put new pads on new rotors.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Alex, since it's just the right rear, and the fronts have seemed to have seated properly, could I get away with just replacing the rear pads...? Can I turn these rotors...I think they are cadnium (sp?) plated...That was the whole idea...no rusty rotors.

And...

There is an anomaly on the right rear rotor (the one making the noise). These are slotted and cross drilled and on one of the drill holes it appears as if the drill was dragged slightly across the rotor, creating a slight indentation, approx. 1/8 inch long, perhaps (guessing) 1/64 inch deep....

What do you think...?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno if anyone will have pics to offer you...but I'd suggest you have the mechanic pull the brake again. Its been my experience that you can hear such a squeal if a pad is not properly seated in its place...specifically the inner pad that has to meet with the piston properly. The piston is turned back with either a "proper" tool or just a wide-bladed flat-headed screwdriver to make room for new pads and the additional depth of new rotors. The problem that you are describing sounds like that piston was not turned exactly into position to receive the inner brake pad (and more specifically its lil' "nib" that fits into the slot on that piston). With the piston turned incorrectly, the "nib" would not slide into place, and therefore the inner pad itself would not seat flush to the rotor. In such a position...squeeeeeeeeeeeal is what you get.

Just something to consider. I know you indicated your pads were reused...but the mechanic still likely had to back off that piston slightly in order to allow for clearance of the new rotors themselves. So I believe you should be looking there.

- Dave
Old 02-08-2004, 08:23 PM

Hey wingman, thanx for the input..It's not a "Squeal" sound..just kinda a scraping sound...As a matter of fact, I have to go back to this dealer tommorrow for some warranty work (gas cap rattles off, dipstick pops out..) I will have them look at the brakes as well...I should suggest that the pad was not installed correctly...? will they figure this out on their own or should I whine a bit.....???

Thanx morgan
Old 02-08-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

morgan,
it is your brake pads. Alex is right. You need to replace or get some REALLY fine sandpaper and resurce them.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:24 AM

Sounds like the pad was not mounted properly or the antisqueal hook is loose. This could be scraping the rotor when you apply brakes which makes the mark you see on your rotor. Should be simple enough, just pull off the tire and pull off the pads, reinstall and see if this fixes it (or your mechanic should do this). Metal on metal is NOT a normal sound nor is it a part of bedding or breaking your pads/rotors in.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by morgan
Alex, since it's just the right rear, and the fronts have seemed to have seated properly, could I get away with just replacing the rear pads...? Can I
Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM

my mistake, I thought he was describing brake noise and not metal scraping.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here...but from another angle. I decidedly used the word "squeal" when "metal scraping" is probably a more appropriate adjective to describe a mis-aligned/seated brake pad. I still strongly suspect that the inner rear pad is not seated properly.

- Dave

PS. Yes morgan...to use your phrase, "Whine a bit" . Don't have to go in guns-ablaze, but nonetheless, be resolute in your desire to have them pull that corner back down to inspect
Old 02-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Thanx for the input guys....Back to Wesoloh today and they checked the install and sanded the pads...a big improvemnt...Still some noise (minor) but I think now it's just due to the fact that the Pads have to wear through the plating first, to get to the "meat" of the rotor... So it requires a bit of break-in...at about 250 miles now...Much better and I can see (feel) that the brakes are doing better as the plating wears away.....

Quick Reply: Cross drilled, slotted rotor's....A question....Not Stupid I Hope....