S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Create Engine, spun around?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Create Engine, spun around?

Create engine

I am doing a kit car project, it calls for a civic type r engine trans assembly, used in a rear engine configuration. My questions is, (I am not a tuner, please forgive) is two fold.
1st. Are
Old 05-13-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i-vtec is probably the next vtec. that technology and those k series engines were derived from the S2000's engine, though the S2000 has more potential for hp than the K series do.

anything is possible if you have the money, time, and resources. but i think bolting a civic tranny to an S2k engine will be tough. keep in mind this engine is mounted longitudinally instead of traversely like the civic engines, and the transmission is quite an integral part of the S2k engine.

and since S2000's are hand built, and they only make maybe 9000 a year, S2000 "crate" or "create" engines or whatever, are not available. you'd have to buy one from a junked S2k.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Ok then, you now much better than I
Old 05-13-2005, 02:58 PM

i'm not sure what you're talking about with the kit car, so someone more knowledgeable than i might have an idea for you.

I think you'd likely have an easier time creating this project car with a K20 engine. you're basically doing what honda did with the nsx, which was move the drive wheels and engine to the back. the S2000 engine may be a very difficult design to accomplish what you're trying (maybe not impossible, but again, time + money + resources).

I'd think a K20 would be much better suited for you. and while the S2000 has more potential power to unleash, the K20 is a strong 2nd place, and can yeild that extra power much less costly. The K20 is a fantastic engine, so if you can fabricate a way for it to work with your car, you'd be much further ahead on that time + money + resources factor.

now i'm not a swap master, so I'm only basing this off my personal experiences and forum experiences, so these are my opinions on the matter.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd say forget what stickers you can through on the outside of it and look at the most seemless transition. You have a hell of a job a head of you, I wouldn't be looking for ways to make it harder.

Tinker, a guy who makes turbo kits for Ss, showed us one of his previous creations the other day. A Del Sol with the engine in the back. Awesome.

If I were you I'd be looking at getting a front cut from a Civic Type R (2L VTEC, transverse mounted etc) and throwing it in the back of whatever you are looking to build.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:51 AM

Well I don
Old 05-14-2005, 06:53 AM

WisconsinS2K, Does the K spin cw or ccw? Thanks
Old 05-14-2005, 07:29 AM

The k-series spins opposite the s2k and B series engines. So I want to say the K series spins CW.

dropping in a B series or K series will be much easier than dropping in the S2k and tranny.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:40 AM

wisconsinS2K, Thanks you are being very helpful. They just say stupid things in a lot of other forums.
Let me try to get my facts straight
The K, most likely spins cw
The B and s2k spins ccw
We think this is correct. This sounds right to me, I believe in typical civic the cam gears or front of the engine are on the left. (sitting in the car) That makes sense; you would want the engine to spin ccw because in its front location the flywheel is already spinning the forward direction.
I assume (I know) that a K series engine is the opposite. Meaning the cam gears or front of the engine are on the right side of the engine compartment. (sitting in the car) That also makes good sense for the same flywheel issue I referred to above.

So can we conclude that you can mount the K engine (cw) to the B transaxle (designed for ccw) and poof you have you rear engine set up spinning the correct direction. Or is the CCW transaxle going to present additional issues.

Note: for anyone, the reason I want the engine on the right is so the driver
Old 05-14-2005, 12:23 PM

I'm just giving you advice off what I can remember. If someone more knowledgeable than me reads this they may correct information we've posted so far.

I am unsure how a cw engine can mount to a transaxle that normally accepts a ccw engine. my mechanical knowledge doesn't help me in that aspect. lol. i've never tried that kind of swap.

Quick Reply: Create Engine, spun around?