S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

creak from rear when turning at full lock

Old 12-29-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creak from rear when turning at full lock

apologies - newbie question...

just noticed this tonight - new car, completely stock. i hear a single "creak" like sound when turning at full lock to get around in lots etc. seems to come from the rear - is this a normal noise from the LSD or rear suspension?

happens for both left and right.

A
Old 12-29-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check to see if the dealer removed the spring spacers. Could also be new bushings that need to be "broken in". If you had a noise from the diff, it would be more of a click or whine.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:02 AM

i did some more investigation in a lot this am. not really a creak at all.

definitely not clicking. more of a very low pitched voom or hum sound - i guess that could be a low whine.

only at full lock which i rarely do apart from turning around in lots etc, seems to be coming from the rear.

is this a normal sound?

A
Old 12-30-2004, 08:42 AM

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to really give you a diagnosis based on a person's written description of a sound. I should never have even tried to begin with. I generally don't respond to "noise" issues just because of this but since your car is brand new and based on your first description, I stuck my neck out. I retract my first response.
-- A "creak", then not a creak?
--"low pitched voom"?
--"hum"?
--"low whine"?

I suggest you take it to your dealer. That's what the warranty is for.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:33 AM

Agreed xviper - thanks for the feedback. most of the noise threads i have seen are counter productive.

And most of the noises my new car makes eventually turn out to be "characteristic".

I guess i'm just getting used to everything. Net net everything functions normally.

I am making it a new years res to desist from noise OCD and from more noise posts :-)

Thanks again mate

Old 12-30-2004, 09:57 AM

I have a similar probelm, there is a bulletin for the one i have, it could be the same thing. It is caused by the factory overtightening the wheel lugs. The main one that holds the hub on. The parts are 4 dollars, but they are a pain in the ass to get off, so i hadnt done it yet. You just have to take the wheel off and they are tightened and bent in, so you have to get a tool to unbend it. You can get the honda dealer to do it for about 50. Not sure where you would find the bulletin, but my dealer showed it to me after i took my car in to have ti checked out. He said it wasn't a safety problem, but honda knew of the problem.

It is possible that it could be the same thing or something similar. The noise i hear is a popping sort of, similar to when you throw the car in to gear, but louder. Usually only right after you start off and have the wheel turned. Mine is also both sides.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jozza,Dec 30 2004, 11:33 AM
I am making it a new years res to desist from noise OCD and from more noise posts :-)
Don't let me deter you from posting "noise" questions. It's just that you need so much more detail when doing so. You need to post things like: speed of car, size of bump, left turn, right turn, direction where the noise is coming from, what gear, can it be duplicated in neutral, clutch in, clutch out, how about reverse, moderate steering or full lock, how long after a cold start, ambient temp, going uphill, downhill, straight, acelerating, decelerating, how agressively is the motion being done, rain, dry, braking, no braking, ebrake. Anything and everything you can possibly think of may have a bearing of how the answer may come out.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_PikeStyle,Dec 30 2004, 11:57 AM
I have the exact same problem, there is a bulletin for it. It is caused by the factory overtightening the wheel lugs. The main one that holds the hub on. The parts are 4 dollars, but they are a pain in the ass to get off, so i hadnt done it yet. You just have to take the wheel off and they are tightened and bent in, so you have to get a tool to unbend it. You can get the honda dealer to do it for about 50. Not sure where you would find the bulletin, but my dealer showed it to me after i took my car in to have ti checked out. He said it wasn't a safety problem, but honda knew of the problem.

Im sure that we have the same problem tho. It is a popping sort of, similar to when you throw the car in to gear, but louder. Usually only right after you start off and have the wheel turned. Mine is also both sides.
I'm not so sure you say that you have the "exact" same problem based on what's been posted. You are describing the "loose hub nut" syndrome. This is associated with a distinct click or knock at the point of moving off from a dead stop and is not necessarily associated with turning.
But whatever the problem is with the original poster, he shouldn't have to pay a dime to have it resolved. It's a brand spanking new vehicle. And with a brand new vehicle, an owner should not have to worry about diagnosing the problem. They should fix it till it's fixed - for FREE.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:22 PM

well yes, it is free as long as its under warranty... didnt notice he had an 05... It just sounded like a very similar sound and problem. It was very hard for me to describe also.