S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Creak from rear suspension

Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem coming from the rear, it makes my car sound cheap and like its falling apart, im dying to find out what this is
Old 03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

when i hit the brakes good enough i get the squeaking and a clunking noise to
Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This could be lots of things. But my KWs creak and squeek and clunk. This is especially obvious because I pulled the interior out of the rear of the car, so I can hear what's going on back there.

I would bet that the OP later accepted that what he was hearing was normal for his KWs.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this sound on the driver side rear and could not get it to happen by pushing down on the back of the car. In the end it turned out to be the rear upper a-arm bushings. At first I could not detect anything wrong by visual inspection, but after having the sound for a couple months plus a few autocross events it became more apparent. I looked again and could see a small separation in the rubber. I sprayed it with WD-40 which amplified the sound (made it worse) as I drove around. So, this may be something to try for troubleshooting. I thought the cause of the bushing cracking may have been related to the fact that I did not preload the suspension before tightening all the bushings when I replaced the rear hub last year. Rubber age could also be a contributor. Most people with this issue have older AP1s.

Don't plan on ordering the bushings for an AP1 rear upper a-arm even though Honda has them listed in the data base because they are really for an AP2 which has larger bushings. You'll need to buy the complete a-arm.

My car was an MY00 with 115k, so I presume the bushing were starting to go on the car overall as I had replaced both front lower arms due to bushing crack and sounds.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 PM

i have the same issue with my00! mine has 80k miles but i'll try preloading the suspension and see what happens...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

random1,

did your noise have any metallic sound to it, or was it pure creak?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Was anyone able to identify the source to this creaking problem? This has recently occurred to my MY01 as well and it is driving me furious. It's a deep creaking sound coming from the rear passenger side and only occurs at low speeds and creeps.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Mar 15 2009, 01:48 AM
random1,

did your noise have any metallic sound to it, or was it pure creak?
Pure creak as in rubber rubbing on rubber. This was the cracked bushing rubbing on itself.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM

i have this problem too. same spot, rear driver side.

i just had my car re-tuned at church automotive, and for those that don't know he's one of the most highly respected tuners in the country. he also has 2 s2000s: a dd and a full blown race car.

the reason i mention all this is because i told him about the problem. he immediately said it's the wheel nut, or sometimes considered the hub nut. it was a tsb for the 00-02 s2000, which looks like everyone in here with the problem has that year make.

here's more info, including a release from honda regarding it: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry7339560

looks like we all need new hub nuts before it's too late.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hero,Apr 7 2009, 11:49 AM
i have this problem too. same spot, rear driver side.

i just had my car re-tuned at church automotive, and for those that don't know he's one of the most highly respected tuners in the country. he also has 2 s2000s: a dd and a full blown race car.

the reason i mention all this is because i told him about the problem. he immediately said it's the wheel nut, or sometimes considered the hub nut. it was a tsb for the 00-02 s2000, which looks like everyone in here with the problem has that year make.

here's more info, including a release from honda regarding it: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry7339560

looks like we all need new hub nuts before it's too late.
Agree that the hub has an issue, but that is usually only when initially going forward or backward where the hub would rotate from one extreme to the other depending it your last take off was in forward or reverse.

Whether one's issue is the suspension bushing (creak when going over bumps) or the hub is up to each person to determine.

Quick Reply: Creak from rear suspension