S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Crazzzzy rattle, from under the hood

Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kamui157,Apr 21 2008, 11:59 AM
Take a video of the noise and post it up.

Another suggestion,
Bought the car used? Could be a mis-placed oil cap sitting behind your engine ontop of the tranny. Bit*h to get it out of there. Good luck.
here ya go. sorry to OP. might sound like yours. you kinda have to turn it up to listen.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by civicej8,Apr 21 2008, 10:28 PM
yeah bought it used. i will take a video of it tonight. its pretty loud so i hope my camera can get it. misplaced cap on top of tranny>?

Basically a cap fell down there. The resonance of egine RPM causes the cap to rattle. Sometimes when you turn, it's not there cause it's lodged. Othertimes it will jostle around. The only way to get to this is the get under the car and use a coat hanger to fish it upwards. Then have someone grab it uptop.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by kamui157,Apr 23 2008, 07:52 AM

Basically a cap fell down there. The resonance of egine RPM causes the cap to rattle. Sometimes when you turn, it's not there cause it's lodged. Othertimes it will jostle around. The only way to get to this is the get under the car and use a coat hanger to fish it upwards. Then have someone grab it uptop.
wow. man i thought your were joking or something. im new to s2000's. and ive never heard of this. thanks man. im bringing it to the stealership tommorow. did you watch my video? sounds pretty rough.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:37 AM

I have the "clutch buzz" still! i had it with my OEM clutch, now i am running the Competition Stage 4 clutch and i still have it! i dont know what else to do besides deal with it.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BUZZ IS GONE

finally got around to replacing the oem clutch today. it was my first clutch install on a rwd car and it was a pain in the ass but i'm glad i did it. as you can see my old clutch was worm down to the rivets although it wasn't slipping, just grabbed really high. the car has 68k miles on it. i guess the previous owners were pretty hard on the clutch.

i'm glad to say that the clutch BUZZ IS GONE. i tried to flush the clutch slave cylinder but got air in the line and ran out of fluid, so i pedal has some play on the top but i can disengage the clutch enough to drive the car. drove around for about 3 miles on the back roads and no buzz at all.

for some reason, my old clutch pedal felt very stiff, like a race clutch and i thought there was one in there at first but it looks like it's just an oem clutch. wasn't sure because i'm the third owner of the car. the clutch feel very light and smooth now compare to before.

the clutch i replaced with is an Exedy OEM clutch. as you can see, the disk hub looks different. the springs looks bigger and there were no play in there like the old one.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 AM

My 00 s2k with 47k miles on it has never had this recall done, and its absoutly fine.

I think its just to stop the noise, i kinda like it! lol

Do you think it would damage my car not to get the recall done.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 AM

i actually got this crazy rattle after i did my clutch , (fidanza flywheel act street disc) sounds like a heat sheild rattle on decel , but no sheilds are loose so i dunno!! it sounds liek shit tho!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:45 AM

damn. nice to see you got "buzz" went away lol.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My heatsheild on my stock header had vibrated so badly during its life on my car that it eventually formed a crack in the interior layer of the heat sheild making the same noise I heard in the video and it usually only does it on decel. It was not loose it just reverberated with the harmonics of the deceleration exhaust pulses I guess. I couldn't tell it was cracked until I took it off to install my new header. That is what fixed the noise for me. No more rattle on decel. HTH
Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by hondaf1,Apr 27 2008, 06:13 PM
BUZZ IS GONE

finally got around to replacing the oem clutch today. it was my first clutch install on a rwd car and it was a pain in the ass but i'm glad i did it. as you can see my old clutch was worm down to the rivets although it wasn't slipping, just grabbed really high. the car has 68k miles on it. i guess the previous owners were pretty hard on the clutch.

i'm glad to say that the clutch BUZZ IS GONE. i tried to flush the clutch slave cylinder but got air in the line and ran out of fluid, so i pedal has some play on the top but i can disengage the clutch enough to drive the car. drove around for about 3 miles on the back roads and no buzz at all.

for some reason, my old clutch pedal felt very stiff, like a race clutch and i thought there was one in there at first but it looks like it's just an oem clutch. wasn't sure because i'm the third owner of the car. the clutch feel very light and smooth now compare to before.

the clutch i replaced with is an Exedy OEM clutch. as you can see, the disk hub looks different. the springs looks bigger and there were no play in there like the old one.
i recently got my s2000, and was a bit disappointed that the clutch pedal was so high. i just assumed it was designed that way--never thought it was a sign of wear since i'm not experiencing any slippage. looks like i could benefit from a new a clutch.

thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Crazzzzy rattle, from under the hood