S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cracked Toda Header bracket

Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A surprising amount of unreported cases exist in all things, from computers/cars that need service to defects in products that people don't report.

As a comparison, I could bring up the old Comptech 1st generation adjustable front sway bar. They advertise it as a race only part with no warranty implied, however some of the first buyers soon experieced cracking and eventual breakage. Comptech didn't ignore the problem and took care of the issue, and proceeded to develop the 2nd generation version, beefier with improvements... now that's a sign of a responsible company.

Toda... well... took the other route. Some businesses and people are quick to wash themselves of any responsibility, so I'm not surprised with Toda's response, which is why buying products (even through authorized channels) have become a gamble for consumers. What puzzles me is "Why isn't AKH putting pressure on Toda regarding this problem?" For example, my workplace sells Sony products (audio/video) and we're an authorized distributor however what's the point of having customers come to purchase the products through us if the support will be no better (or different) than if someone bought it from a dark alley? That's supposed to be the difference between the purchases from authorized and unauthorized vendors... it's the support that seperates the two. I don't care if I buy a $10 Sony clock from a dark alley because if it breaks, it's only 10 dollars. If it was $1000, you bet I'm going to spend a little more and purchase it from the correct places.

I looked at Toda's information on the header and it doesn't state or remotely imply that it can't be used for SC'd applications. Like I said earlier, it'd be a completely different matter if the product was purchased via gray-market, or if the product was some $199 deal off Ebay or something, but we're talking about a major brand-name, $1200 header (a friggin header), bought through an authorized dealer and there's no support, or offer to look at the item. This whole ordeal has "soured the milk" and I'm almost sure that if I purchased some other Toda product that broke or failed (assuming everything was installed correctly per instructions), I'd also get no support either... well at least that's the impression I'm getting here.

Toda =
Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
Wow, I'm surprised at their stance.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 PM

After reading all of this, I should better check mine as well since I drive it hard everyday. I thought there is at least 1 to 3 years warranty offered for TODA's header? Which kind of authorized dealer doesn't offer any warranty at all?

I don't think the company has done much reliability test before the product out to the market.

*** No more business for TODA *** Quality sucks!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by xviper
Coincidentally, I added a large nut as a spacer to make up the difference rather than bending the bracket, so hopefully, mine will be OK too.
Anybody know what size the bolt is that secures this bracket? I'm thinking about stopping at home depot on my way home and picking up a handful of washers in case I need to add spacing also. xviper, if you have this info, can you add it to your header install "How-To"?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
Old 06-09-2004, 01:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
Anybody know what size the bolt is that secures this bracket?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

10mm is correct. I think the bolt measures 10X1.25X25 aprox. on length.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:02 PM

Thanks. I got the header installed tonight (just under 2.5 hrs thanks to xviper's How-To), but I didn't secure the bracket. I'll make a run to Home Depot before I come home tomorrow night and pick up some washers and a nut. I'm kinda disappointed that Toda doesn't include a nut to secure the bolt. I'm also disappointed that the bracket doesn't align better. Oh, well... how much can you expect for $1100?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sigh, I just bought a used header from member sick_speed on this board and it came with a broken bracket.

I didn't pay ~$1150 for the header so I really don't care about the broken bracket. Kinda disappointed that the seller didn't let me know about it but oh well. Other than that the header is bad-ass.

Who cares if it's broken! It's secured by the head, and the cat, that flimsy little bracket wasn't going to do shit anyway...
Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 AM

Be sure and get a before/after dyno. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that will be interested to see how this header performs on an '04.

Quick Reply: Cracked Toda Header bracket