S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cracked Toda Header bracket

Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

This just from AKH:

Wish we could've done more for you. We've sold lots of these manifolds over
the past 2 years and this is the first bracket failure we've seen. If it
was a defect in workmanship or design (determined if this occurred on more
than one occasion) I'm sure they would have replaced it.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Slows2k
2 seperate issues, The detonation has stopped after re-mapping the Split second timing controller and adding an additional 3 degrees of timing retard.

good to know that 3 degrees of timing retard can make a difference

good luck with your toda saga
Old 03-03-2004, 04:19 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribe
Old 03-03-2004, 05:12 AM

well since toda isn't going to warranty it anyway, might as well take it to someone and have them weld the bracket back on and never buy toda parts again
Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Squeezer
well since toda isn't going to warranty it anyway, might as well take it to someone and have them weld the bracket back on and never buy toda parts again
IMHO that is like shooting yourself in the foot. Take a look at the big picture. Best header, worthless bracket, waste of time to R & R the header. Look at the bright side, it weighs less with no bracket.
Heed their warning about welding it or you might end up with a destroyed header.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM

The Fujitsubo header uses a bracket not welded onto the header. It bolts on from both sides and clamps the header. Would something like this work as an alternative?

Old 03-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

My reply to previous AKH E-mail:

I wish you could do more as well. Would Toda Racing like a copy of my ASE master tech card to show them I know how to properly install an exhaust manifold? Mugen had a similar problem with there header, And Replaced them.
I didn't buy a grey market Toda part. I went through a liscenced dealer, and you, AKH trading drop shipped it to me. I made an error in my previous e-mails, I purchased the header on 4-3-03,waited 3 months,then installed on
7-25-03. So the header has been on the car for 7 months roughly? If this is such an isolated incedent,Why won't they replace it? I will say this has soured me on buying any more Toda parts.

AKH's reply:
We do sincerely appreciate your business and your purchase through
authorized channels, and are regretful that things could not be resolved in
a manner which you would've liked. What other modifications to you have on
your engine? If you have something like a high power mod (huge NOS, blower,
etc) - anything that will cause the engine to torque much more than stock,
it would put excessive stress on the bracket.

My Reply:
Yes My car does have other Mods. It has had a Supercharger for 4 months. and 4000 miles. I also have a J's racing engine damper installed to dampen engine movement. Most cutomers that buy your header have other mods as well. Anyone who doesn't object to $1150 for a header, will probably spend more $ on other things as well. How many stock S2000's have a Toda header? Not to many is my guess. It doesn't really matter at this point, I'll still have my cracked header. There are plenty of these headers out there, I would not be surprised that more are broken than you know about. The only reason I found mine cracked is due to the fact that I work on cars for a living, and could locate the noise myself. Unfortunately with Toda Racing's policy, You probably won't be getting many calls on this. Your customers already know Toda's stance.

It's to bad, I was looking at buying a set of Work wheels as well.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

As far as welding it back on, Sorry I'm not pulling the header unless I'm installing a new one. Yes, I know a Very Good TIG welder that could put it back together.

The Fujitsubo bracket does appear to be adjustable, Which can allow variences in production tolerences. A good idea in my book.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Did you try to contact R&D? i would assume R&D would try to get your problem sovled for their customer.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What do they consider is a reason to warranty the item?

From the tone on their reply, they sound like a Honda Dealer blaming your CAI for your Valve trouble.

I think R and D Motorsports should apply some pressure on AKH on your behalf. It would be in their best interest, because this will have an impact on their Toda sales in the long run.

IMPO, I think Toda should have just replaced it out of good will. Then they could have found the root casue of the failure and fixed it from an engineer/manufaturing standpoint. As it sits now, they only can guess at the cause and they are blaming you for it.

"What other modifications to you have on your engine?" Get real, they knew you had mods or you would not have had this in the first place.

Quick Reply: Cracked Toda Header bracket