S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CR Steering Rack- Scraping/Crunching Sound

Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR Steering Rack- Scraping/Crunching Sound

I just had a shop install a used CR steering rack this past weekend that I recently got my hands on. It feels good except for when I abruptly yank the steering wheel at speed during a turn. I'm getting a sound that can be best described as scraping/crunching coming from the steering rack area. It doesn't happen during normal driving; only when I turn aggressively (I don't know if it has to do with the body roll causing some components to scrape against each other or a just problem with the rack + steep steering angle). This only happens at speed; during a dead stop I can't hear anything abnormal. Happens whether I turn left or right, doesn't matter.

At this point, I'm still not sure as to whether it's an issue with the install or the rack itself (I hope it's the former). Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated; this is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Also I changed the torque sensor to the CR part number equivalent too, if that helps
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the difference between the two?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepybox
I just had a shop install a used CR steering rack this past weekend that I recently got my hands on. It feels good except for when I abruptly yank the steering wheel at speed during a turn. I'm getting a sound that can be best described as scraping/crunching coming from the steering rack area. It doesn't happen during normal driving; only when I turn aggressively (I don't know if it has to do with the body roll causing some components to scrape against each other or a just problem with the rack + steep steering angle). This only happens at speed; during a dead stop I can't hear anything abnormal. Happens whether I turn left or right, doesn't matter.

At this point, I'm still not sure as to whether it's an issue with the install or the rack itself (I hope it's the former). Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated; this is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!
Make sure everything is properly aligned and greased, including the subframe.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM

^^ alright I will, thanks.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I think it has something to do with the front sway bar, since this sound only occurs during excessive roll. The fsb wasn't disconnected during the install (the endlinks) but the mounting points were indeed loosened and removed to make room so that the rack could come out. Would a loose sway bar or something be the cause of these symptoms?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Are you on coils? Bigger sway bar?

Look for wear marks around the end links and on the shock body. If left loose they can rattle or rub.

Also, did you change the EPS control box behind the battery?

What year model is your S?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by pemex70
Are you on coils? Bigger sway bar?

Look for wear marks around the end links and on the shock body. If left loose they can rattle or rub.

Also, did you change the EPS control box behind the battery?

What year model is your S?
Everything else is stock: suspension/sway bar included. My car is an 09 ap2. I did not change the EPS control box; is this needed/why?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM

I read up on another member who installed it on a '07 and he was told he needed the control box also. He works for Honda Corp so there is some validation to it but not certain. Something to look into.

Another thing, jack up the car and have someone turn the wheel both ways. Just to check clearances. Better if car is on the ground or a lift to check.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by pemex70
I read up on another member who installed it on a '07 and he was told he needed the control box also. He works for Honda Corp so there is some validation to it but not certain. Something to look into.

Another thing, jack up the car and have someone turn the wheel both ways. Just to check clearances. Better if car is on the ground or a lift to check.
Asked someone else who did the conversion and said the eps unit wasn't needed and that it didn't do much to the steering feel.

Anyways, just jacked up the car and turned the steering wheel from left to right and vice versa and found that there was a whirring sound whenever I turned it. I thought this was the culprit until I tried doing the same thing on my friends ap1, and his makes the same sound so this can't be it. Can anyone else confirm the whirring noise when turning the wheel while the car is off/jacked up?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM

good to know.

The whirring sound is just the gears teeth crossing over. That's normal.

I'm not sure what's making your initial sound though. Maybe the rack was defective?

Quick Reply: CR Steering Rack- Scraping/Crunching Sound