S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Could use a little help please.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use a little help please.

Hi guys I read the common problems thread, but have a few questions for you all. Iv owned my s2k for about 3 years now. Its an ap1 going on to 80,000 miles. Around 4 months ago, It went into honda to get new valves, valve guides and machine work done on the head. I guess it had been over revved at some point before i took hold of it, because i had never even bounced it off the rev limiter. Anyway, the job was done and honda told me it was back to 100%. A few days after getting it back i noticed a problem and it has continued since and is starting to drive me crazy. When i drive the car, espesially on a hot day and with the a/c on, but it happens with the a/c off as well. When the car is finally warmed up it constantly lopes and the revs drop up and down around and it seems like just as its about to stall out, it picks itsself back up. When I start out in first its sputters, backfires and bucs as i accelerate and then it finally stops at about 3500 rpm, as i shift to second and begin aaccelerating, it repeats the same process, untill the revs get back into the 4000rpm range. It sometimes even does it in third and fourth. When this started I took it back to honda, and they said the car was 100% and it was just bad gas. Its been four months and many many tanks of gas and the problem has not stopped. Its getting to wear the s2000 just isnt a fun car to drive anymore, all this sputtering and backfiring has made it so annoying to drive, especially in stop and go traffic. Any help or ideas you guys could give me would be really appreciated, i just want to get it driving like it used to.
Thanks a bunch, Trent.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM

I would bring it back to Honda and demand that they inspect the issue free of charge ASAP! If you did not have the problem before driving it to Honda and then you had the problem right after getting the car back then obviously it is not bad gas. Personally I am mad and its not even my car.

Hopefully some other members can give you some tips on what it could be.

-L
Old 08-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Yea i know what you mean, im just not sure if iv left it to late or not
Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try a new MAP sensor? Check the connections on the injectors and that the plugs are seated properly?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Want the truth, go back and bitch, and moan, and bitch some more.

That way they will finally be annoyed with you enough to actually fix the issue. The problem wasn't there before, and it is now. Tell them either to fix it, or if they continue to say nothing is wrong, tell them you want a second opinion, if they find something wrong with the work that was done, you may be able to collect.

I doubt they will even let you take it to another place though.

Problem is this issue of yours was 4 months ago, they can easily argue it has developed this issue after they correctly fixed your engine, no fault of their own.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:04 PM

thanks for the replys guys, im thinking maybe i could take it back even though it was 4 months ago, because i had actually taken it back when the job was done and they blamed bad gas. so i guess i could argue that i now know its not bad gas since its been 4 months and the problem is still occuring. I am in the process of getting a turbo, do you think the new engine management and tune could fix it up?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 PM

It's possible but i wouldn't do anything to it until that issue is fixed, because they will blame anything not stock on the cause of the issue and void any work.

Complain again, and talk to the general manager if they continue to give you a hard time.