S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Correct way to put top down

Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way to put top down

Hey all,
Can someone please help?? I purchased an '04 a few weeks back and with a few days of having it, I put the top down (with the latches reclipped so they weren't dangling) and then when I put it back up, it tore 2 holes. I know this has been a problem, and THANK GOD Honda is stepping up and goodwilling it...BUT, my question is this:

What is the proper way to put the top down? Should I unhinge the latches and then reclip them before putting the top all the way down? Ever since the tear incident the latches seem to be getting stuck, even when dangling and I put the top back. The black plastic on the sides of the hinges keeps snapping off. It's ugly

Do you guys reclip the hinges when you put the top down? THANKS!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 AM

i always reclipped mine...it just seemed logical to reclip them instead of leaving them dangling.

-a
Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 AM

reclip!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

always reclip
Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 AM

I don't understand what you are talikeng about. Are the tears in the fabric right where the clips are? Post pictures.

You can run top down with clips open or closed. It doesn't matter except that they will make a little more noise when they are left open.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand what you're asking, then I say always re-clip. If you don't, then you risk the hooks catching the latch again as you go to put the top down (my ex did this when I allowed her to unlatch her side of the roof).

Whatever your technique, you're definitely doing something wrong. I've never heard of a tear from the latches, and there definitely shouldn't be any plastic snapping off.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 AM

Always Always reclip your latches before folding the top down. There have been others who have punched a hole through the top because they didn't reclip their latches. Also, check to see if the elastic straps are worn. If worn, this will prevent the top from folding correctly.

I had to replace mine last year (I have a 2005 model). Here's the straps that I am referring to:

http://modifry.com/products/ctf/details.htm
Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 PM

thanks for all the replies! its pretty hard to explain...but these answers help.
Basically, I was told to unclip the hinges, then use the roof button/switch and let the roof mechanics do the rest...leaving the hinges "unclipped" and dangling.

But, when I tried to reclip them before pushing the roof switch because it seemed more logical to me, somehow when I put the roof back and tried to raise it the latches got stuck and tore small 1-1.5" tears right near the latches. A bit puzzling and I wanted to be sure that if I reclipped the latches BEFORE hitting the roof switch that this would not happen again.

It's possible that the elastic strips are worn - but that would be replaced with a new roof, right?

I still can't figure out why the black plastic is cracking off other than it just banging around and breaking off because the latches weren't reclipped.

Thanks again for the help
Old 07-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can tell if the elastic strips are worn or not if when you put your top down halfway, the bar that attaches to the straps is not down all the way (try pushing it down with your hand). This will ensure the top goes down all the way.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM

thanks...i'll have to go check that out...appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Correct way to put top down