S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant reservoir empty at 25K, should I worry?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant reservoir empty at 25K, should I worry?

I just purchased a 2005 AP2 fomr my work (a Toyota dealer trade-in) and noticed the other day that the coolant reservior was completely empty. While test driving on a couple of occasions, I noticed it never overheated, but this still concerns me a bit. Should I worry about this? Any known leaks on these cars by this mileage? Head gaskets easy to blow? Leaky reserviors? The fact that it isnt overheating soothes my fears a bit, but still, I can't see why the reservior would be empty. It does appear that it was Honda blue (50/50) that was in there. I would have thought maybe it was the washer reservior, but it was on the right front of the engine bay with the rubber line going to the radiator top for overflow. Please give me your thoughts! Thanks!

J
Old 01-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

well, fill it to the max line and see if it drops.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 PM

I currently don't have the car yet... its having the soft top replaced as part of the deal. I'm just worrying over this before I get the car (Mon or Tues) to decide what to do next. Still under Honda's 3yr/36K warranty and my dealer's 90 day warranty, but just wondering if it is something I should be stressing, or somewhat common.

J
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 PM

using coolant is normal. dont trip about it. just fill it up. then it will suck up some more then you will have to fill it up again. after that you should be fine just keep it topped off

edit: if your real paranoid just do a radiator flush to be safe
Old 01-27-2008, 03:55 AM

Ok... will keep you posted when I get the car. Should be Monday or Tues. Thanks for the help, and look forward to talking with all you guys.

J
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 AM

I don't think "using coolant" is "normal". I've never had a car that consumed coolant. It has to go some where, either a leak or it wasn't filled properly at one time. Open the radiator cap while the car is cool and the coolant should be right at the top. If it isn't, top it off and fill the reservoir to the line while cool. Check it again after driving and getting it up to temp, just in case there was a bubble some where in the system, top off again if needed.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

its 50% water it evaperates at high temps you live in wa so I'm sure you don't drive around in tripple digit temps
Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

When the engine is cold pull the radiator cap and check the level. Fill if necessary. Then add a little coolant to bring the resevoir above the minimum line. That's all that is needed.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 PM

You should see some coolant in the reservoir when the engine is warmed or fully warmed.

Jason
Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HondaS,Jan 27 2008, 11:06 AM
its 50% water it evaperates at high temps you live in wa so I'm sure you don't drive around in tripple digit temps
I don't think thats relevant. The cooling system operates within a given parameter, regardless of outside ambient temps.

Even if it is possible for that much to have "evaporated" I'd be more concerned other areas of the car weren't maintained if the coolant res is dry.

Quick Reply: Coolant reservoir empty at 25K, should I worry?