S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant Recovery Reservoir Overflow Bottle? OEM or Aftermarket

Old 11-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Coolant Recovery Reservoir Overflow Bottle? OEM or Aftermarket

I just noticed my stock OEM overflow bottle is leaking a bit at the bottom it's and from the top a bit; its a very small crack. I guess i could tape it but that's kind of ghetto.
I have a koyo rad and cap; is there a better aftermarket overflow bottle out there? Or should i just get a Amazon one? I really don't want the ugly yellow cap
https://www.amazon.com/Partomotive-Recovery-Reservoir-Overflow-Expansion/dp/B07RM84PS8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=s2000+coolant+overflow&qid=1573421999&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/Partomotive-Recovery-Reservoir-Overflow-Expansion/dp/B07RM84PS8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=s2000+coolant+overflow&qid=1573421999&sr=8-1

Any place to get a nice OEM one or something even better for fitment? Let me know what others are doing.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

There is nothing better, some look nicer and cost more, but they all do the same job. Just get a replacement bottle from the dealer, you don' t need the cap or the hose if you can buy individual parts from the dealer.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM

I have a small crack in 1 and I wasn't sure my 2 was leaking as i see a very very small amount of coolint coming out of it; so i was looking to do a full replacement
It's so small tho just wanted to get ahead of it so won't have any issues later down the road
Old 11-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by gotembro

I have a small crack in 1 and I wasn't sure my 2 was leaking as i see a very very small amount of coolint coming out of it; so i was looking to do a full replacement
It's so small tho just wanted to get ahead of it so won't have any issues later down the road
Part two usually leaks when the tank is over-filled or during hard cornering, not usually a big deal. The tank is not airtight , it has to vent a bit, if it is over-filled or during hard cornering some fluid can leak out. Parts 2, 5 , 6, are relatively cheap if you want to replace them at the same time, up to you.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go get some jb weld at hardware store. Then pressurize tank a bit to see where it leaks, drain it then seal it.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:37 PM

I do keep it pretty dang full every time i take off the cap it's at the top super blue; I also keep it a bit above the max. Never had any issues but I notice sometime a bit leaks out as I keep my engine bay super clean to notice any type of leaks.

Anyone else run into this issue? With the res leaking a bit? Its like so small and a none issue but you know how it goes.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by gotembro
I do keep it pretty dang full every time i take off the cap it's at the top super blue; I also keep it a bit above the max. Never had any issues but I notice sometime a bit leaks out as I keep my engine bay super clean to notice any type of leaks.

Anyone else run into this issue? With the res leaking a bit? Its like so small and a none issue but you know how it goes.
It sounds like you are keeping the fluid level too high. It should be at the full mark when fully hot, not any higher than that, and at the low mark when fully cold. It should never get near the top at any time, as it will leak out of the top of the tank and the cap. The overflow tank is not 100 percent sealed, it vents , and will leak if over-filled and during hard cornering. Lower the fluid and see if it still leaks. I think you have too much fluid in the tank and it is normal to leak if kept like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
gotembro (11-12-2019), Slowcrash_101 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

OEM
Old 11-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

On another car, I replaced overflow tank with aftermarket. Fit was awful. I had to torque and tweak it, and could barely get the fasteners back on. It was so badly misshapen. Would have returned it but on that car you had to remove wheel and fender liner, and it was dead of winter and didn't feel like putting it all back together then taking apart again when new part sourced.

For most things, I'd prefer used oem over new aftermarket, unless aftermarket is proven quality brand. But then its probably not much cheaper than new oem.

Sometimes the oem part is way over priced and a near OEM quality is much more reasonable. Only in those situations do I go with aftermarket.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Banned
Member (Premium)Vendor - Emerging
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 113 Posts

I have no issues with the ASM coolant tank, but they are not cheap.

Quick Reply: Coolant Recovery Reservoir Overflow Bottle? OEM or Aftermarket