S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant Problem. ***Fixed*** finally.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Problem. ***Fixed*** finally.

Hi guys, I have a major coolant problem =/. I need to refill my coolant resevoir like every 3-4 days. I checked for leaks but could'nt find any and there is no spots when i drive out of my driveway in the morning. I checked my exhaust and it seems to be fine. It doesn't blow out any white smoke or such. I am hoping it may be my Radiator Cap. I am planning to just change that out since it doesnt cost that much anyways. Hope that was the problem but i have a hunch it is not.

When I turn up my AC I dont smell any "sweet smell" although sometimes when i turn up my heater I smell like a burning smell. You think there is some kind of leak that would make a burning smell when i run my ac on hot?

Thanks guys
David

**Update**

Well finally found the verdict of what caused my coolant consumption. I thought it was the head gasket so I brought it in to BlackTrax to have them diagnose and changed it. They found out it was leaking internally and we had to take out the head to have it examined. Found out the gasket was fine but my head was slightly warped probably due to previous owner boosted the car. They also found out I had a few bent exhaust valves. =X.. Would probably been bad if I had kept driving like that....but anyways once they resurfaced the head and put/replaced everything back together everything runs super smooth than before. No more coolant drainage.

Just wanted to update the situation and hopefully it may help others in diagnosing their coolant problem. Aki from BlackTrax was very helpful and he knew what he was doing. Although they are a little steep on the price but hey I would pay a little more to get it done right. Since my car was already there Aki asked if I wanted it Dynoed and it pushed out pretty good numbers.

With only Comptech Dual Exhaust and rest is stock I pushed 203.9 HP forgot how much torque. Will update when I get home. AP1 with 62k miles. Oh it have supertech valves/springs dunno if those add HP or not. Previous owner had them put in while it was boosted.

203.9hp is that pretty avg for a ap1?

Thanks again for all the help.
If anyone need to get stuff done on their s2k I would recommend BlackTrax.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well...the coolant is going somewhere. Hopefully, it is not a bad head gasket.

Look for cracks around and just below the filler neck on the radiator. That's the most frequent place for radiator leaks to develop.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM

i had the same problem my head gasket was blown
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ap1george,Feb 26 2009, 11:40 PM
i had the same problem my head gasket was blown
me too. pain in the ass to fix and/or $$. my head warped too so i had to get it milled.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

i remember when i had my blown head gasket and i would open my hood it would have that "sweet smell" youre talking about although to me it smelled more like urine. but sweet smelling urine. if that makes sense. ...... haha.

have you checked your radiator to see if it has a layer of oil at the top of the coolant? check your oil to see if its milky? at least your heater is working....

hopefully its nothing. good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A used oil analysis would confirm the head gasket leak. Taking the car to a tech would confirm the radiator and system is working well with a pressure check.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM

I brought it to a shop to have a pressure check and they said the pressure was good. Hmmm I hope it is not a head gasket =/. Is there any other way for me to confirm if my head gasket is going out? Should I look for leaks around the head? I hope it is just a leaking radiator but I will check the filler neck carefully. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM

You will need to do a compression test.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM

So blown head gasket is not visible to the eye? There's no way to tell by just looking at it?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

check to make sure all the hoses where they go into the rad and block arent leaking and also make sure your drain is tight on the bottom of the rad. seems like alot of coolant to be losing in a short period of time. if you were burning it, then im sure this would be visible. have you checked your plugs?

Quick Reply: Coolant Problem. ***Fixed*** finally.