S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant in oil

Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in oil

Hey everyone.

Just received the results of my most recent oil analysis and it is showing some minor lower bearing wear and 0.46% coolant in the oil.

The car is a MY02 with 113k on the odo.

Coolant expansion tank is almost empty, but radiator looks fine (coolant comes to just a bit below the opening. )
I can not see a residue left in the expansion tank as I know sometimes that can be something to look for. The most that was in there was just some older brown coolant residue. Probably time to do a full system flush TBH.

The car does not have any overheating issues and always starts up without issue.

The car only gets driven about once per week and its normally an hour each direction. On startup, there is a bit of steam that comes form the exhaust but it quickly dissipates once the idle drops a bit. It is not thick like a smoke though and its always sort of done that. I always took it that it was because it is not my daily driver and its moisture and such that has accumulated in the exhaust system.

I cannot find any external leaks around the valve cover or head gasket. However, with the car being 12 years old and over 100k I was expecting for the seals to need to be replaced eventually.

Anything I can look for or do to test to see what I may need to replace?

Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

Thanks for any info that can be given.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Could be a cracked cylinder head. Get a leak down test.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05thumper
Could be a cracked cylinder head. Get a leak down test.
Yea I agree with the leak down test. open up the rad cap and see if you get bubbles at the filler neck while doing the leak down. If so probably a blown HG or maybe even a warped head. If your oil is starting to look like chocolate milk then you probably have a leak somewhere in the HG.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Did they actually detect coolant or are they going by sodium and potassium readings ? . On some of my UOA's they highlighted coolant concerns but was just sodium and potassium levels from additives in the oil.

That coolant percentage sounds really low for a significant leak like head gasket or cracked block, so I would rule them out. It might be a small leak in something like the oil cooler, or maybe the intake manifold ? . Do you have a Hondata intake manifold gasket ?.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I bought a Compression and leak down testers and will do both to see what is going on.

Looking at the UOA, they went by the sodium and potassium levels in the oil, but there were also metals found related to the lower bearings.

I did a visual check and I cannot find a leak anywhere near the HG, IMG, or VC Gasket.

The coolant is a tiny bit low, but still near the top of the radiator. Heat never goes above three bars and car runs brilliantly. When I changed the oil, it flowed perfectly fine and between my fingers felt normal. It did not smell of coolant at all.

I myself never changed any of the gaskets, but who knows about the previous owner. In the few short years they had it, they managed to destroy the transmission, flywheel and clutch.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Reality33
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I bought a Compression and leak down testers and will do both to see what is going on.

Looking at the UOA, they went by the sodium and potassium levels in the oil, but there were also metals found related to the lower bearings.

I did a visual check and I cannot find a leak anywhere near the HG, IMG, or VC Gasket.

The coolant is a tiny bit low, but still near the top of the radiator. Heat never goes above three bars and car runs brilliantly. When I changed the oil, it flowed perfectly fine and between my fingers felt normal. It did not smell of coolant at all.

I myself never changed any of the gaskets, but who knows about the previous owner. In the few short years they had it, they managed to destroy the transmission, flywheel and clutch.
well like I said earlier my engine got flagged for elevated sodium and potassium levels, but it was negative for actual coolant. Those two additives can come from other sources, I think mine came from oil and fuel cleaner additives I had used in the past. Things settled down on the next used oil analysis after I flushed out the additives that we still floating around in the system.

Do you use any fuel additives or injector cleaners within the last 6 months ?. Any oil additives ?. You don't have a Hondata intake manifold gasket correct - the thermoplastic one ?.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Actually, now that you mention it, I did run a bottle of Chevron Techron through the engine about 3 tanks ago. I wonder if this could have caused the readings.

No oil additives. Just straight Motul 300V 10-40 / Honda Filters

I dont know about the Intake manifold gasket. I never replaced any gasket on the car in the many years I have owned it. I guess it is possible that the previous owner could have.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 AM

My 01 S2k has 114k miles on it.. you got me all worried like i bought a car thats gonna have problems. And its been leaking coolant but i dont think its burning it.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Reality33
Actually, now that you mention it, I did run a bottle of Chevron Techron through the engine about 3 tanks ago. I wonder if this could have caused the readings.

No oil additives. Just straight Motul 300V 10-40 / Honda Filters

I dont know about the Intake manifold gasket. I never replaced any gasket on the car in the many years I have owned it. I guess it is possible that the previous owner could have.
I would refill the coolant system as needed, and monitor things for the next oil change interval and re-test the oil sample at a later date. My potassium and sodium levels have dropped since the higher readings were detected.

The reason why I asked about the Hondata intake manifold gasket is that some S2000 owners run them to reduce intake temps, but they are known to leak and there is a coolant port in the intake manifold that can leak fluid into the head. You probably don't have one on your engine, but take a peek where the intake manifold mates up to the head to see if you can see any white plastic manifold gasket there just in case the previous owner put one on.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM

Will do thanks for the tip.
When I run the compression test, I will have a good look to see if I can find a white gasket around the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Coolant in oil