S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant leak,Common issue? Stock photos?

Old 07-24-2021, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak,Common issue? Stock photos?

Hello All,
Went to my first track day, and after 4 sessions of hard driving I had coolant sprayed all over on the driver side, to the right of the fuel injection manifold. Pictured below.

From the trajectory, and signs of leaking tube fitting, I think the circled part is where the spray is coming from.
I wanted to see if this was a common issue with a easy fix. Also, not sure if the hose is supposed to be kinked at an angle like that, so seeing any stock photos of this piece would be greatly appreciated.
Would this spray cause any more problems? are there things to watch out for when attempting to fix that hose fitting?

Thanks all
Old 07-25-2021, 02:41 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Looks like the hose is missing a spring clamp
Old 07-27-2021, 07:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Looks like the hose is missing a spring clamp
Good eye. Maybe the clamp we see is the clamp and it never got put back on?
Old 07-27-2021, 08:25 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

The clamp is too far up and that hose seems like its seen some atrocities.

Replacement hose and clamps should ideally come from Honda. If you buy an off-the-roll hose, its 5/16" (8mm) heater/coolant hose. Its a rare find. NAPA had some for me.

Fuel hose isn't the same thing, to answer statement that the auto parts person will make.

If you need clamps, buy them from Honda for easy solutions. Or...buy a spring clamp made for the OD of the hose you buy.

Don't use worm clamps.

EDIT

Someone has attached a rubber hose to another rubber hose.

?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

WHAT

Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Lol I did not catch that at first, but does look like a hose in a hose, but it may just be the picture. That should be a black hard line running to a rubber hose. Definitely needs fixing though before driving again

Comparing to my car, it looks like that clamp was just loosened and pushed back and never put back into place. Check for the other clamp on the other end and if it is there, just put this one back in place and then monitor closely when driving again.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:54 PM

Since you say to use genuine honda clamps and hoses, do you have the PN for the specific one I'm looking at? Will honda dealerships know what PN to look for if I go in person?

Also, replacing the hose, some coolant will leak out, so should I just go ahead and redo the coolant fluid fill and bleed?

Also, why no worm clamps? The hoses are all stock untouched, but the hose clamp was moved way back and the hose looks to be slightly swelling.
Thanks for the answers.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kota_o
Also, replacing the hose, some coolant will leak out, so should I just go ahead and redo the coolant fluid fill and bleed?

Also, why no worm clamps? The hoses are all stock untouched, but the hose clamp was moved way back and the hose looks to be slightly swelling.
Thanks for the answers.
I’m in a similar situation. I think you need part number 95002-41250-04, not 100% sure because I’m going off of what I’m looking at for my drive by wire AP2.

worm clamps are horrible, they can be over tightened and cut into the hose and cause leaks or under tightened and cause leaks. I can’t think of any manufacturer that uses them for cooling system purposes.

You’re going to introduce air into the cooling system replacing hoses so you might as well drain,
fill and bleed the cooling system properly.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:19 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Spring clamps don't have to come from Honda. Just get the right ID for the hose. Order them online.

HPS makes good coolant hoses if you can't find OEM. Silicone hoses have more evaporative loss, just something to be mindful of.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:15 AM

I'm looking at something like this for the hose.
Amazon Amazon
Looks like the OD is 14mm, so would the D12.5 hose clamp work, or would I need a 14mm hose clamp. Not sure if the notation of hose clamp is actual ID or if its "meant" for that ID.
Amazon Amazon
Thanks
Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Since you say to use genuine honda clamps and hoses, do you have the PN for the specific one I'm looking at? Will honda dealerships know what PN to look for if I go in person?

Thanks for the answers.
Worm clamps aren't used from the factory, right? They don't work. They dont use constant tension. The tension is set. So as the hose swells, they cut into it. As the hose re-contracts back...you get a leak.

Constant tension clamps can expand and contract to provide...well...a constant tension via their spring rate.

I said to make your life easy, the clamps should come from Honda...as evidenced by your question below. Try hondautomotiveparts or Bernardiparts for diagrams and buy the parts there.

Be cautioned that a LOT of stuff is on backorder or discontinued. So you might need to use cunning.

You can buy a variety pack of clamps on Amazon also. Use one that's meant for the hose OD. Meaning, the clamp is meant to put tension on a (x) diameter hose. That's how the clamps are sized.

I'm looking at something like this for the hose.
https://www.amazon.com/HPS-Performan.../dp/B00IX2OU7G
Looks like the OD is 14mm, so would the D12.5 hose clamp work, or would I need a 14mm hose clamp. Not sure if the notation of hose clamp is actual ID or if its "meant" for that ID.
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-95002-4.../dp/B00AJTLU9C
Thanks

Quick Reply: Coolant leak,Common issue? Stock photos?