S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

coolant flush

Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant flush

I did a coolant flush back in the summer, and used this method and it works. But long story short, I was moving my oil relocator that retains the stock oil cooler, and when I unbolted the hose that goes to it from the coolant, it obviously drained most of my coolant out.

Upon hooking everything back up, I filled up the radiator with honda type 2 coolant, filled up the reserve tank, let car warm up with the heat on full. I then turned off the car, waited a minute or so, squeezed the top radiator hose while opening the bleeder (not the one near the firewall), air comes out then the liquid, while still squeezing it I tighten the bleeder. Then I go back into the car, let it idle for 30 seconds or so turn it off and repeat. I have done this for almost an hour now. Its starting to blow warm air, but my concern is that the fans in the front are not turning on, also the bottom radiator hose is very cold.

What possibly might be the issue here. I have tried reading around but im just stumped as it was working fine before I flushed the coolant. I checked the radiator and its almost at the top, I keep having to top up the reserve coolant tank as it keeps going to low after doing this multiple times. I checked the floor and in my hood and no signs of any leaking out everywhere.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm by no means an expert, but recently did this for the first time and here's how I did it...

1-Fill up coolant overflow to max and put on overflow cap and tighten
2-Fill up radiator to the top and leave cap off
3-Tighten front bleeder
4-Start car and run until fluid from radiator overflows
5-Turn off car
6-Loosen bleeder valve (air will come out and fluid level in radiator will drop)
7-Squeeze hose to move air around to the bleeder valve and tighten the bleed valve
8-Fill up radiator with more fluid
9-Repeat 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and over time you will see less and less air coming out and the heat/coolant will continue to get hotter and hotter so be careful. This took many more times than I expected, btw...maybe 15-20 times.

10-Once the heat is blowing hot and no more air is coming out I topped off the radiator and tightened the radiator cap.

I did notice that once the car cooled and the coolant had time to contract (it was expanding because it was hot I guess) it sucked up a decent bit from the expansion tank. So once completely cool I filled the expansion tank back to the max line.

Anyone, feel free to correct what I've said here. This was my first coolant flush and the car is driving great so I think I did it correctly.

Hope this helps. I can't remember if my radiator fans ever came on, even though I got to 6-7 bars on my ap2 temp gauge.