S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Convertible Top Frame Maintenance

Old 09-29-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Frame Maintenance

Okay, I'm pretty handy and do a real good job of taking care of my S, but tell me what I need to do to maintain the convertible top frame properly? What point should be lubricated? What lubricant is good to use? How often should it be done? My baby is only 2 months old; how long should I wait until the first lubrication for the top?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In the 5 years I've had this car, I've never lubed anything on the top. The only thing you need to do is to treat the rubber seals once or twice a year. The mechanism itself should need no attention.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM

Ive treated the rubber bits with some silicone (100% if you can get it), and also i have (possibly fruitlessly ) used both white lithium and shin-etsu grease on the various hinge parts.

However, just today when i was putting the top down, it didnt want to go down the whole way, I reclosed it and again tryed to put it down, and was trying to see what was jamming. It did get stuck again but i couldnt see what the problem was. On the third try it worked as it should have.

btw when it did jam, I feel it would have closed if i had continued to hold the button down, but i didnt want to force it.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=tizbad2k,Sep 29 2005, 08:53 PM]Ive treated the rubber bits with some silicone (100% if you can get it), and also i have (possibly fruitlessly ) used both white lithium and shin-etsu grease on the various hinge parts.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 29 2005, 10:43 PM
In the 5 years I've had this car, I've never lubed anything on the top. The only thing you need to do is to treat the rubber seals once or twice a year. The mechanism itself should need no attention.
Exact same thing,here.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by tizbad2k,Sep 29 2005, 10:53 PM
However, just today when i was putting the top down, it didnt want to go down the whole way, I reclosed it and again tryed to put it down, and was trying to see what was jamming. It did get stuck again but i couldnt see what the problem was. On the third try it worked as it should have.

btw when it did jam, I feel it would have closed if i had continued to hold the button down, but i didnt want to force it.
Holding the button down and using the top motors to close or open the top is not "forcing" it. That's what it's for. You can hold that button forever if you like. It'll stop when it gets to the end limit and disconnect. It will not continue to "close" or "open" the top. If you are trying to release the button at the exact moment you think the top has reached it full travel, this is a pretty goofy and superstitious way of doing it. Just hold it till it stops.

If it still won't go all the way down, this is a function of weak elastic straps and Honda has a TSB on this.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 AM

There is a service bulletin #03-023 which outlines a fix for squeaks and pops on the soft top using Shin-Etsu on the rubber gaskets, and spray white lithium grease on the frame.

I believe it is to address complaints rather than a general maintenance procedure.

Regards,
BD
Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And here's the link:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275225
Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 30 2005, 10:17 AM
Holding the button down and using the top motors to close or open the top is not "forcing" it. That's what it's for. You can hold that button forever if you like. It'll stop when it gets to the end limit and disconnect. It will not continue to "close" or "open" the top. If you are trying to release the button at the exact moment you think the top has reached it full travel, this is a pretty goofy and superstitious way of doing it. Just hold it till it stops.

If it still won't go all the way down, this is a function of weak elastic straps and Honda has a TSB on this.
im not a tard, wut kind of stuff have you been smokin?

anyways, i dont think its good operational practice to make a motor run when something is resisiting it more than usual. In my case there was atleast 6 more inches of travel when it jammed.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tizbad2k,Sep 30 2005, 09:27 PM
anyways, i dont think its good operational practice to make a motor run when something is resisiting it more than usual. In my case there was atleast 6 more inches of travel when it jammed.
You never explained this part before. How the **** am I supposed to know? Just trying to help. Won't make this mistake again.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Frame Maintenance