S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Convertable Top Closing Problem

Old 09-19-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertable Top Closing Problem

I get my car back after letting my brother borrow it for a while. When he pulls up he tries to put the top up and he said it won't latch closed. (Lesson #1, never let a 18 yr old borrow your car ) So I get in and try to close it and after moving the latch over the striker and pushing up on the latch the top does not want to come down. I used quite a bit of force and couldn't get the latch to move up into the closed position.

I ran the top through several open / closes cycles and it seems like the top overtravels in the closed position. Outside the car I noticed that front portion of the first flap (with the latches on it) does not want to go down and meet flush with the top of the windshield. I finally got it closed, but after the top stops in the closed position, I have to reach outside the car on each side and pull down really hard as I'm latching it.

Is there any adjustment for this? Are there any TSB's or anything realated to this?

Note: All responders get to aid me in the disiplinary action of the boy
Old 09-19-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll bet he's tried to open the top a few times when the top is latched. This might shift the close limit. Look in the owner's manual. There is a method to "manually" open and close the top. See if you can execute a manual close to latch it. I'm not positive, but this might re-align the close limit.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:27 PM
KLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you slide the seats forward and remove the interior side panels. You'll see a bump-stop looking thing that can be adjusted. It's looks like a bolt with a rubber head, and there is a lock nut you can loosen to adjust that bolt. That's the only thing I can think of that you can actually adjust.

Since your car is an '00 you might want to check all the soft-top frame bars and elasctic straps to make sure they are in good condition and are being raised properly and in the correct position.