S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Convertable roof leak help please

Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Convertable roof leak help please

My 01 S has a leak in the front of the convertable. Right where the corners of the roof meet the window and A pillar. It is leaking on both sides.

Also it is leaking at the first crease back from there but not as much and I get the impression that it is water traveling inside the seal to that spot, but I am unsure it that could be it and if that is possible.

I did some searching and read something about lubing the seals. I called my PA Honda dealer and the dealer here in Mass where I am now located and neither of them ever heard of it leaking there, nor did they ever hear of lubing any of the seals.

Brief history is that it doesn't appear that the previous owners took very good care of the car. So it lubing was it, at what point is it too late to lube?

Has anyone else ever experienced this and what do I do?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First of all, is it leaking from natural water (ie, rain)? Or is it leaking when you wash the car. If it leaks when washing the car, this is not unusual. If it's leaking from just being out in the rain, then you have a problem. Try to silicone grease all the seals again. Once a seal has gone dry and begun to crack, it's most likely too late and new seals need to be purchased. Re-greasing at this point may only be a very short term solution.

Also, it may be necessary to adjust the window angle. This is not a simple job and needs to be done using a service manual or by a service tech.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 PM

It is from rain water... (sorry about that)

I don't think the seals have ever seen the silicone grease, and I know I haven't done it YET.

But I wonder if I grease the seals how will that fix a leak? Won't the grease run and make a bigger mess? I just don't understand how lubing a seal causes it to seal.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, in your case, since we don't really have any idea about the exact condition of the seals, you won't know till you try. Silicone grease will not only seal the surface imperfections but it will also swell the rubber to some extent. If you use the correct silicone, it shouldn't "run". It will goop up the top edge of your side windows for a few days but this is part of the process of keeping the seals conditioned. If you have some rubber safe silicone spray, try that. Spray it liberally onto a lint free cloth and wipe it all over all the rubber seals you find. If this helps, then using the correct stuff should be even better. If you have to buy something anyway, go to the Honda dealer and get a tube of their "Shin-Etsu" grease. It's a bit pricey but you use is sparingly. Put it on your finger and use your finger to apply it to the seals. When you done, go back to the beginning and wipe of any excess (lint free cloth).
If you think the Honda grease is too expensive, go to any GM dealer and buy a bottle of Silicone Emulsion. It comes with its own applicator. Do the same as for the other stuff and go back and wipe off the excess when you've gone through it the first time.
Glass acts as a medium by which water will follow it along. The grease breaks up this attraction and acts as a barrier.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '02 was leaking in the same area during last year's rainy season. Applying Shin-Etsu to the seals took care of it. I was skeptical too until I did it.

It does make a small mess at the window's top edge. But it doesn't run.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:54 PM

I picked up some Shin-Etsu at the dealer tonight and put it on the seals. The seal along the top of the windshield seemed a little more dried than the rest so I am letting that one sit over night with grease.

I will let you know if it does the job. They are calling for "soaking" rain tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cyber_x,Oct 10 2005, 03:55 PM
My '02 was leaking in the same area during last year's rainy season. Applying Shin-Etsu to the seals took care of it. I was skeptical too until I did it.

It does make a small mess at the window's top edge. But it doesn't run.
Ditto with my '01, it actually solved my problem.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:35 PM

I am curious as to how bad you guys leaks were?

Mine seems pretty bad. liek the speaker grill was pretty wet.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 AM

I have the same problem with my 00, i'm trying the Shin-Etsu solution

A local dealer should have Shin-Etsu ?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 AM

So far so good... But no heavy rain since I did it.

Once again it would be nice to know how bad some of your other leaks were that you fixed with the grease.

Quick Reply: Convertable roof leak help please