S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Constant smell from new clutch

Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant smell from new clutch

- Hey guys, so I've just had the clutch replaced in my car, within the past week, OEM pressure plate, OEM disc, OEM bearings, and resurfaced my Spoon flywheel, and I keep getting a mild, but definitvely noticeable clutch smell every time after driving it. It's not extreme as in coming through the vents, or I can smell it when at a red light, but when I park, and get out, I immediately notice it.
- Now, I'm driving it as gently as possible, but it is my daily car at the moment, so diving it is required. The clutch isn't slipping at all, at least not noticeably to me.
- I will say when leaving the shop that did the work, I accidentally hit vtec maybe 2 miles up the road, due to not paying attention, and again within 5 minutes, due to the same damn thing. Neither time did I get to the redline, as I immediately slowed once I realized I'd done it, and I haven't gone over 5k since. I have maybe 250 miles driven so far since install.
- 2 things I'm worried about - 1: is it possible I actually glazed the clutch to the point of smelling constantly from those two small mistakes? I would think it would be slipping if I did. 2: I'm worried it may not be bedding into the flywheel correctly, and the flywheel may have been too rough after the resurface.
- worth noting that I have deleted the CDV, and played with pedal adjustment, both to no change.
- I really don't want to trash this clutch that fast, but the continued smell after every time I drive the car has got me really concerned. Any advice, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM

AS a quick update, I did some quick maths on how far I've driven since the install, and its around 160 miles, not 250. Not that that should make a major difference by any means. I guess worst case scenario, I'm proven right, and have to replace the clutch disk as well as the flywheel.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Check your clutch pedal free play. Make sure it's not over adjusted.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hitting vtec with a new clutch shouldn't do any damage to it given it is fully engaged when you're driving normally. I don't see you made a 'mistake'. It's only when the clutch is in the process of being released and catching the power of the engine that causes friction and the potential to glaze occurs, usually in extreme use (ie: you're revving the engine sky high with the clutch pedal half way to the floor).

Also, it is not uncommon for mechanics to get some grease marks on the exhaust piping under the car which would naturally burn off.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I did my clutch recently. OEM except for act pp and flywheel. I had a slight clutch smell for a few weeks, and several hundred miles. Eventually it went away.

Now I have several thousand miles on clutch and its working perfectly.

I caulked it up to:

A. New clutch bedding in to new flywheel and pp. Its initially not perfectly flat, and through use wears itself so. Since its so hard, and lasts so long, it takes a while for this to occur. But as it does so, those minute spots wear faster and cause a very slight clutch smell.

B. I'm being hyper sensitive to every little sound and smell. Whenever I finish working on something, I get this way, wanting to make sure thete isn't a problem. A lot of people might not even notice, as its only barely detectible and only sometimes occurs.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Maybe, some grease works its way into disc area. Just need to burn off.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Maybe, some grease works its way into disc area. Just need to burn off.
This or clutch rod over adjustment. Only things I can think of.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:18 AM

When you guys say "over-adjusted" do you mean the pedal is engaging too high up, or too low down (or close to the firewall)?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabulous_omelet
When you guys say "over-adjusted" do you mean the pedal is engaging too high up, or too low down (or close to the firewall)?
The pedal being too close to the firewall would be adjusted. If you think about it when you press the clutch pedal at some point the clutch will start to disengage from the flywheel. If the clutch pedal is adjusted in this engagement zone, you will smell friction material.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabulous_omelet
As Soviet sez, the adjustment is not allowing the pressure plate surface to fully contact the disc. Omelet, that avatar! Reminds me of ALL the arguments I've had with females, over the years. Two Tums please!

Quick Reply: Constant smell from new clutch