S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

constant high pitch noise (key in or out, ignition on or off)

Old 04-12-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contant high pitch noise (key in or out, ignition on or off)

When leaving work tonight, I opened my car door and instantly heard a faint high pitch noise. It was almost the same as the headlight warning beep but much fainter and is coming from under the driver's side dash.

I checked the headlights, they were off, and started the car...still there. I then dbl checked the doors, trunk, hood, I even put the top down and back up....it was still there. I restarted the car flipping literaly every switch once or twice....still.....there.

It was 9pm and I'd been at work since 7am so I decided to turn the radio up and ignore the noise, hoping it would just go away. Problem is, just like that thing I caught in college from that cheerleader, the freaking noise didn't go away on its own. It was still going...and going...and going...the freaking high pitch noise w o u l d n o t s t o p. Key in or out, it's still there. Light warning buzzer comes on with the door open and lights on so it's not that. I can hear it through the window if I press my ear to the glass so it's not tied to the door being open or shut.

I gave up bc I was tired and grouchy and decided the car would just run the battery down worst case...problem is it's bother me and keeping me from sleeping now, I must figure out what the noise is. I just looked in on the car in the garage and so help me the noise is still happening

Car details:
my03
8300 miles
no alarm, no aftermarket anything (except shifter knob and clear signals)

Weather:
it just recently turned cold again this weekend and is colder tonight than it has been in a while (low 50s) but nothing worse than the car has been in before...it's in a "warm" garage now so I can't think it's temp related.

Anybody have any ideas? Anyone?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Oops, subject should read, "constant high pitch noise..."

*see how much it's getting to me!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:10 AM

I'm not sure what it is but you might try disconnecting the battery ground cable for about a minute and then re-connect it. This might reset whatever it is making the noise. It's worth a try. You'll just need your code to get the stereo to work again, plus you'll have to go through the process of re-establishing the emissions codes.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by areedertx
Oops, subject should read, "constant high pitch noise..."
Old 04-13-2004, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I did contemplate diconecting the battery but I'm in the process of moving and all my docs (with codes, etc) are packed away.

The good news is it's gone and the battery isn't dead. I drove it this morning w/ no problems (including no flat tires ).

I sure hope it's not going to start again tonight.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tinnitis?

Are you sure it's coming from under the dash and not from the speaker?