S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Concerned about the clutch...

Old 03-24-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerned about the clutch...

This afternoon, I dropped the clutch @8-9000rpm. (Some dude in a civic revved on me) The rear tires did not break loose and spin, and the car was not accelerating fast, but slowly(?!)
My guess is that I was burning the clutch instead. Of course, I had terrible smell in the rear, not coming from tires.

The car drives fine afterwards.

How much damage have I possibly done to my clutch? - I don't dump the clutch usually. It's just that the car was not moving much with rpm way up to 8-9 rpm, clutch pedal released all the way up...

Thanks in advance,
Old 03-24-2002, 07:44 PM

I am not sure how you have been driving the car, but it sounds like you were "slipping" the clutch before and you glazed it. It should return to normal in a few days.

One tip though, when drag racing (which the S2000 is not good at), rev it to about 7k rpm and drop the clutch. Don't slip it or the above will happen.

Makes for an exciting launch too
Old 03-24-2002, 09:11 PM

I've done that before and the clutch smelled horrible for a week. I notice that the clutch is not exactly the same anymore.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:39 AM

some thing happened to me yesturday!!! i was used to slipping the clutch on my turbo GSR. i tried to slip in on the s2k and the damn thing just burned all the way. the car feels normal today though.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:49 AM

This is totally ironic.. I came in this morning ready to start this same thread. I also dropped the clutch at high RPM's this weekend and the rear tires did not break. of course smoke barreled out from the tranny and the clutch just does not feel the same. It seems to catch at a higher foot level then before.

what to do?... can I get this adjusted back down, do I need a new clutch? chunck it? I am right at my 15k service...

Thanks,

D
Old 03-25-2002, 05:00 AM

What you guys have done is glazed the clutch pads. You heated them till they "melted" on the surface. It should go back to normal after a few days for normal driving. You just have to wear the glaze off.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:20 AM

What is meant by the term "slipping the clutch"??
Old 03-25-2002, 05:24 AM

Slipping the clutch - giving the car a bunch of gas and letting the clutch out slow. This lets the clutch plates "slip" on the flywheel creating heat, which leads to melting or glazing of the clutch pads.

Think of it this way, this has the same effect as driving with your e-brake on. Different parts, but same principal.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:51 AM

Too Weird.... I did the same thing last night. I reved to about 7k and dumped the clutch. I didn't break the tires loose, and the car went nowhere. I felt the clutch just spinning and not grabbing. I know I must have glazed the hell out of it!!! I'm a little disappointed because I only have 1500 miles and this was the first time I tried a hard launch.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:44 AM

This is just me guessing, but were you driving it hard before you launched it? Or in your daily driving habits, do you slip the clutch without knowing it? Either one of those could have glazed the clutch before you launched.

If that is not the case, you probably had way to much traction. When you are driving next time, take note on how you let the clutch out. I had to readjust my clutching after getting out the Miata and into the S2000.

Try this scenrio:
Drove my friends car....

Then did this in my car right after....

Both of those were the same corner....note that the honda isn't going the right way.
This was a true adjustment in the clutch department.

Quick Reply: Concerned about the clutch...