S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Concerned about changing the oil...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 985 Posts

lol @ asking how accesible the oil filter is.

Popping the hood would have taken less time than making this post.

I've had to stab a screw driver through the filter to get it out. Or buy a filter wrench since you need one to put the filter back on.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Oct 9 2009, 04:13 PM
Hand-tight probably isn't right for the oil filter, unless you've got some serious grip. You are supposed to spin it on until the seal makes contact, then turn it 7/8 turn further. I can't do that by hand myself.
with enough experience, a hand is all you need.

i don't trust a tq wrench when i am installing the oil filter there's tons of friction read with the gasket mashing against the machined lip, oiled or not.

if you done it enough time, your hand can tell you exactly when and where to stop, you can't get that with a wrench.

if you need extra grip on the filter when installing it, wrap a SS hose clamp around it. that's what spoon use on their race car to prevent expansion under extreme heat and pressure at the track. The notch on the SS clamp is all you need for traction, of course change out the oily glove helps too.

for removal, try wrap the filter with a low number grit sand paper(aka rough sh-t), i bet most of the stuck filter can be undo without sticking a flat head to the body and making a mess.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Pcx filter is different. It's outer metal edge is designed to go flush and crush to the mating flange. It's been discussed here many, many times. Unless you are Popeye the Sailor, you can't do the pcx filter by hand.
So, go ahead and do it by hand, and if and when it burns, and you're parting out, I'll take the diff for spare. In this case, I'd do what the manual says because if you search you'll see the horror stories.
Your results may vary.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get a strap wrench
Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iam7head,Oct 9 2009, 11:11 PM
with enough experience, a hand is all you need.

i don't trust a tq wrench when i am installing the oil filter there's tons of friction read with the gasket mashing against the machined lip, oiled or not.

if you done it enough time, your hand can tell you exactly when and where to stop, you can't get that with a wrench.

if you need extra grip on the filter when installing it, wrap a SS hose clamp around it. that's what spoon use on their race car to prevent expansion under extreme heat and pressure at the track. The notch on the SS clamp is all you need for traction, of course change out the oily glove helps too.

for removal, try wrap the filter with a low number grit sand paper(aka rough sh-t), i bet most of the stuck filter can be undo without sticking a flat head to the body and making a mess.
Good luck with that. I'd like to see video of you turning it 7/8ths of a turn after initial contact. As has been said, unless you're Popeye, your engine is at risk.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go under the hood to change my OF.Must have small arms and since I don't ..I plan to give some blood while doing it.I use a cap wrench.

Takes about 5 min to change.Make sure to lube the rubber gasket.

\rlr
Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 AM

I would never be able to trust that a hand tight oil filter is all you need. Put it on hand tight and then use a tool to make an extra 1/8 turn at minimum. IMO, I think a 1/4 turn would be way to much so don't over tighten.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always hand tighten my filter and its always hard as shit to get off lol.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson,Oct 10 2009, 07:26 AM
Good luck with that. I'd like to see video of you turning it 7/8ths of a turn after initial contact. As has been said, unless you're Popeye, your engine is at risk.
don't worry about my engine and yes, i do exercise regularly just for your information
Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Honda sells a socket wrench attachment that fits the S2000 filter perfectly. Saves a ton of trouble, especially once things get oil all over them and you can't get any grip.

handa-accessories.com sells them. They also have them for other models.

Quick Reply: Concerned about changing the oil...