S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

comtech intake vs gutted airbox

Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so where can i find a snorkal (is it the same as a duct, like the spoon piece in the latter pic?). and how do you "gut" your intake box?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Utah S2K,Apr 2 2007, 08:15 PM
As for SOUND the AEM is best and it performs well as well. I currently run a Comptech as I was afraid of water intake (although I think this is more of an urban legend unless you life in Hawaii). I had an early snorkel proto from Richard Ming which I gave to XViper before he went FI. Personally I would go with the AEM V2 which I am seriously considering returning to.

Utah

P.S. For me sound is second to me and performance is #1...enough said???
not true at all, it's hard to say how easy it is to hydrolock the motor.

it just takes the right amount and right timing to get water inducted to the engine, i worked/saved alot of honda motor with CAI water problem before. most of them are fine, some of the motor need a head rebuild/new valve. and some motor is totally seized shut.

I live in socal aka the worst water drain system in the world

i have a spoon snorkel, gutted box and KN filter, the noise increase a tad, only slightly.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by MitsukillinS2K,Apr 3 2007, 06:35 AM
just get the bypass valve or dont run over any puddles
not sure they are offered for V2, plus you cant just mount the valve any where, it has to be in certain height(to the tb) and certain distance in order for it to work.

plus the bypass valve are know for loosing hp, and they breaks

i had one before
Old 05-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusted_nailz,Apr 2 2007, 11:08 PM
I used to have the K&N fipk and it sounded very nice, but I switched back to the stock box with spoon snorkle. Even though the fipk sounded really good, I am happier with the spoon setup. I can tell the difference especially at high speeds like the highway.
what do you mean when you say you can tell a difference with the spoon setup at high speeds, do you speak of SOUND or SPEED?

I installed the k&N fipk last night...

low end has better throttle response...but vtec seems slower than OEM.

=(
Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Francesco,Apr 2 2007, 05:40 PM
I think buying an intake for sound is a not a very good idea, although most people buy intakes for the s2000 based on this assumption because the OEM airbox is actually very, very good.

Ive owned the comptech, it sounded good. The performance wasnt there for me though, so I sold it and switched back to OEM.

I think im going to gut my airbox and run a snorkel for now, it will perform alot better.
That is what I did and I am extremely happy. I gutted the OEM air box and bought fiber glass copy of the Spoon from AUS I also installed a larger throttle body. Before I get jumped on I did not do it because I thought I would see performance gains I did it ti get better throttle response.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Comptech was there for sound and my HP was nothing to nil on the dyno, low 190s stock to low 190s with comptech air and fuji exhaust.

If I had to do it over again, get a K&N filter, gut the airbox, get an ebay snorkle.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:44 PM
cmn

Does anyone have a video with an S2000 that have a gutted airbox, so I can find out how it sounds?... Any difference from stock?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Does anyone know why Honda designed the airbox like that?
Is there any negative effect after gutting the box?

Dan
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,May 13 2007, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know why Honda designed the airbox like that?
Is there any negative effect after gutting the box?

Dan
Back from the dead!, I've been wondering the above as well, been contemplating on the idea of gutting my air box, but not sure if that would really improve performance at all?
anybody have done this? and maybe dyno a gutted box? thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gabster,May 7 2010, 05:51 AM
Back from the dead!, I've been wondering the above as well, been contemplating on the idea of gutting my air box, but not sure if that would really improve performance at all?
anybody have done this? and maybe dyno a gutted box? thanks
I'm getting intrigued by this gutted stock air box again. Who was it here that did that and had an issue, to find a dead rat in the box? lol i remember that from somewhere.

Anyway, my assumption has to do with condensation build up not getting to the filter maybe?
Last time i detailed my engine i took off the cover to find a build up of sand and what not. Nothing severe but annoying none the less.

Quick Reply: comtech intake vs gutted airbox