S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

COMPTECH vs SPEEDCRAFT

Old 02-09-2002, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fanman
[B]I wonder how much the intercooler for the Comptech/Paxton will help it.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:32 PM

so you wanna spin your car out in low rpms?
or do you wanna downshift and ALWAYS keep it in Vtec? thats your decision.
plus......when i drop my clutch, im already in vtec.....the speedcraft turbo is running mid 13s? high 13s? based on the e/t slip...if i remember correctly....wuts so bad with comptechs SC? sure the power dont come in till 5500rpm (vtec supposedly) but when you race....youre always in vtec....wut kinda race has a rolling start? its probably mid 13s too....who was the one who drops their clutch at 8000rpm? cuz you aint getting a good time with that launch. too much wheel spin. +,
i dont get why all these ppl are complaining about CARB....i live in LA....we get pulled over all the time..and harassed god dammit...checkin me for tats and scars and shiet....the cops wont know that it dont pass smog tho....geez....you guys sound like its a felony or something. you aint going to jail for having a car that dont pass smog....just pay a little extra for someone to do it....say, the shop you get it installed at? if youre gonna get the turbo, dont worry about CARB worry about motor life.
and because the turbo gets power from the exhaust...it gets hot hot hot....but my question was not answered by all you techs....stop giving such BIASED advice....i need help....chris your car is in the shop...after the installation of the head gasket....your car ran for 5 secs? and you call that reliable? then the motor wouldnt start? cmon now....how long has it been? have you gotten your car yet? how much MORE did you drop cuz of the gasket failure? cuz with the mods on your car...the yellow one with CF hood....you could trade it or sell it to someone who wants the kit and get a new '02 M3 with sequential shifter.....if you hold the shifter up in place and tap the gas, the engine will hum at perfect rpm.....then you let go of the shifter and floor the gas!! ooh....thats not all, when you downshift, it heel&toes for you! wow!
how many of you actually heel toe? well with the M3 you dont have to...talk about the ultimate driving machine...it makes it way easier too...this car disproves the saying *its the driver not the car*....and finally under 50k now! i should have waited a couple more years with my lamo mr2 and then buy the M3 dammit...

BACK to my og question....so with the SC, IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET AN INTERCOOLER AND A BOV? cuz thats wut i heard....but somehow that is wierd to me....and SPEEDCRAFT, we dont get no race fuel here...98 octane is like 4~5 buck a gallon...why you make a kit that needs race fuel? or that runs lean? or with unequal piping? i mean ill still get it if there are substantial HP increase without RACE FUEL and boosting at 6psi? but i wanna be able to TURN UP THE BOOST from time to time. cjb said he was boosting at 8psi, but then he couldnt till he tuned it....how many times you gotta tune it? going to the shop for one whole day should be enough time to get it tuned.....and we as consumers of your product shouldnt be getting the figures
i think ill get mine custom over here on the westside from atomic racing and the *DR* charles madrid as his turbo runs 12.5 quarter miles....unless you guys could do something about it.

take this post as qs from a customer and dont take it personally and come bashing me.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:55 PM

Oh my god, I think my eyes sunk back in to my head..
Old 02-11-2002, 04:11 PM

I am speechless....

Like I said before, know the facts before you debate!
Old 02-11-2002, 04:28 PM

LOL Chris. its okay, he has alot to know.

In regards to TodaySi's statement:

I hope I understood your statement correct. With the SC You can add an intercooler, yes. You can add a BOV, the cost is still going to be close to Speedcrafts kit once you do that.

if you know how to drive, you wont spin all the way out in low RPMs. if you dont, then get over it and learn to. Its not hard after a while. Also, who wants to launch their SC'ed S2k at high rpms? Since Im assuming that youre into drag racing, the launch is everything. Since you have more power down low, and assuming you know how to drive, then you wont have to do high rpms drops. There is plenty of low end power to scoot you right along. If you have a SC, then you have issues in terms of launching on the straight line. Because you are missing some low end torque, and you cant really launch it high in fear of messing up your rear diff.

I agree with you on the whole CARB thing.

In regards to the turbo timeslips. Its high to mid to low 12s..yes...depends on the driver.

There is nothign wrong with the comptech unit. It just depends on your level of comfortability and where you want the power. comparing a SC or a TC'ed S2000 running at the same level of boost, the SC is more top end. but not by much. Whereas the turbo has covered much of the low to midrange successfully.

one important thing here is..that you mentioned that you wouldl like to turn up the boost from time to time.....and with a SC, you wont be able to do that, ..unless you want to constantly have to change out the SC pulley.

In regards to the headgasket, that is the only thing that makes the speedcraft kit unreliable in any way. The thing with copper headgaskets is that they dont seal properly without doing some heavy maintenance. By the way, Im trying to rally up some interest (loook for my post) for producing a steel headgasket that lowers your compression and not require o-ringing the head; so that you may use 91 octane with 8 pounds of boost and have 320 whp or 330...whatever.

I believe youre mistaken, because there are many gas stations in LA that carry high octane gas. you just have to ask around. like at 76 stations. some carry them..and some dont.

Unequal piping??? oh yeah.. dont have any comment on that one.

oh one more thing. when you dyno tune a car, and you do it right the first time, you dont have to do it everytime you change octane levels. You dyno with and without race gas so you know what settings you need. Therefore you dont have to go everytime.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:05 AM

i dunno what you were thinkin but my car is NA....and i think i could drive pretty decently....or launch.taken some whiteys out in their SVTs and z28s....i cant take turns anymore though cuz of a accident i had before...get paranoid and ish.
ok the whole SC vs TC thing, I didnt want to make the wrong decision....like i said if the turbo is ey ok then im good to go...and that other post was the second time asking cuz people started talking about other shit....like some guy with SC was arguing with TC guy...GRATE...but otherwise, its koo now.....and the 100 octane gas is alrite but it cost like 4-5 dollars a gallon....theres one in Brentwood and in SANTAMONICA....(go SMC)....and im with you on that gasket assuming you would need one for yourself....and the 8000rpm drop? thats not me....but i saw it in one of these forums before.

~~<///////////X and its todays420, you dont know your roman numerals buuuhdy.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pappy
[B]I am speechless....
Old 02-13-2002, 02:16 AM

so can anyone put down the no.s for the speed craft turbo on pump gas, no gasket and 6psi (or whatever is safe)?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:14 AM

996 is current internal deignation for all 911, so they are all non-turbo, x the turbo model w/in 996 platform

recent most GT3 is non-turbo, current GT2 is turbo 2wd
A4 is base crapvagen, it may have turbo, but i doubt, but who cares, S4 is twin turbo v6 in the 4body platform

if i'm wrong.....see still sorta blow.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:57 AM

u need to define your goal in upmodding the power on the S2K , and the pick the APPROPRIATE solution for your application and sensibilities.

the S/C is a centrifigul blower, and like correctly stated above, power is amplified in proportion to rpm.
that was not my initial desire, i wanted a roots style blower, which gives the effect of more displacement, ie a large early PLATEAU of torque, but stays flat in the top end. i was waiting for Jackson Racing to make a kit, but they eventually gave up for the usual reasons.

I SEMI-RELUCTANTLY went with the comptech blower, and after initially confirming that it added power in the aforementioned manner, i began to really like the way the power comes on. WHAT'S NEAT IS THAT IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE CHARACTER OF THE POWERBAND , JUST GIVES IT MORE POWER EVERYWHERE PROPORTIONAL TO THE STOCK MOTOR. Therefore it "FEELS" like an s2k in its manners, but u have enuff satisfying power that gives u that good feeling that u r driving something special and potent.
i can't tolerate driving a stock s2k, not because its got a peaky powerband, but because it simply does not have enuff POWER, period. i've only been a fan of big, torquey motors before, and never could believe those europeans enjoying their high end rush cars.......but i finally "got it". once u have sufficient power, rather than where in the rev range its made is the crux for me now.

THAT SAID, roots style power, with huge power might be more entertaing , and better solution, still.

the other thing, the linear building powerband is like the worlds best traction control system, u can get into the throttle early and have a controllable squirt of power for bigger exit speed w/o any crap interfering TC system on all those fat heavy cars.

Also, the TURBO is also a great solution if u want MAD power, for its own characteristics as well detailed above, but u can also add its light weight overall and lack of added mass/imbalance to the reciprocating engine. AT the current state of development, turbo for our application is less a slam dunk "kit" per se, but i hope it becomes one, because i would be happy to jump ship from S/C to TURBO for more low end and total power, as long as my practical and laziness concerns are sufficintly addressed.

PERSONALLY, a combined motor and exhaust driven set-up with super light and fast impellars and good heat(exhaust and intake) may be needed for our application so we can all get our nutsacs off.

one more, ahem boring thing, if u are into only drag and street "kills", do not waste time with S/C, That is inappropriate and will be dissappointing, please go directly to turbo, nos......or Supra!

Quick Reply: COMPTECH vs SPEEDCRAFT