S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech question

Old 06-14-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech question

All right, my apologies first off for bringing this up because it has probably been brought up a million times in this forum. But since this is my first post in Under The Hood, I gotta start somewhere. I'm a newbie when it comes to engine mods.

Btw, I did a search and I even checked the Comptech website, and I checked the "Commonly Asked Questions" thread before I dipped my foot in here. I'm trying not to embarrass myself.

I'm really at my wit's end with the engine "bog" when I'm cruising at 5 mph after a freeway run. You guys know what I'm talking about, and Comptech makes the system to replace the OEM air filter et. al. to fix the bog. I checked the website and I didn't see it but I do believe a Honda dealership can install this item while being under warranty. Does this make sense?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:33 AM

heat soak is the problem, unless someone else wants to jump in and say something different.

I replaced my spark plugs with deson iridium IK24's. This reduced the bog and increased throttle response, especially in high temp days. Not that replacing the spark plugs with cooler ones reduces heat soak by itslef they work better in hot temp climates (I live in TX) it is 90 degrees with cloud coverage outside.

Hondata insulator throttle body bypass is another mod that could reduce this bog from heat soak. www.s2000.org go to DIY mods

CAI intake is another Mod that you could do to reduce hot air from coming into the intake.

Otherwise what you are experiencing is normal side effects of intake system that is on the car. The intake box with filter is in the engine bay with engine heat, no matter how well the intake box is insulated it can NOT keep heat soak from coming in to play.

I'm not saying to MOD your car, but some cooling mods can help.

I also have the spoon stat and switch. 160 degree thermostat and 190 thermo switch.

with deson IK24 spark plugs, AEM CAI, hondata insulator by-pass, spoon stat and switch, I do NOT experience this bog that you are reffering to. My car runs all day like a cold monday morning.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the response. I think I'm probably going to begin with the CAI intake and take it from there. If I'm going to start modding, I need to start with things that will improve my performance first. This seems like a safe one.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:32 PM

VinceD,

over a year ago I was new and searched and asked the same questions. At that time people were a little more friendly. I wanted to return the favor to someone else

The AEM CAI gave me 5 ftlbs of torque all the way through the power band and 22 hp surge going in to and through VTEC (mid range) vs stock. Over all the peak HP didn't change at all. Cutting out the fake vents in the front bumper seemed to assist the intake in breathing a little better at highway speed. I went with the coastal metals grills to cover up the holes that existed on both sides after the fact.

I think speeding is offering the cooling mods that I mentioned on the for sale and wanted to buy forum.

I just got a vafc and harness that is the next mod that will be going on the car. For $330.00 I think this will be the best $ for HP "mod".