S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech Exhaust Owners

Old 05-14-2001, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by turbo_pwr
Originally posted by SilverSurfer
Originally posted by S2K Fan
Does the mod hinder performance?
I believe you may lose a couple hp but nothing drastic.
So in other words you would have spent $1198 dollars on a mod that produces a 3 HP gain, but a throatier sound. Oh wait you just muffled the sound and just got rid of the performance gain. So in other words you spent $1198 for the stock exhaust! Huh? I don't get it.
are you planning on being SilverSurfer's new daddy? Huh? I don't get it.

[Edited by josh3io on 05-14-2001 at 08:03 PM]
Old 05-14-2001, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Humanatek

No, No, No....He said you would only lose a couple hp...a couple is two...so you spent $1198 on a 1hp gain...
If you want to count dollars then it would be $5,200.00 (SC, thanks to you and Exhaust) for about 95hp increase to the wheels. So, I spent approximately $54.75 per 1 hp gain to my car. Does that sound better than 1200 per 1 hp gain?

By the way, I convinced the wife that we need to keep both the S4 and S2000 in our garage and she agreed so far. She calls the S4 "her baby"

Thanks for all of the previous offers on storage.
Old 05-15-2001, 02:04 AM

I'm thinking about getting the Comptech Exhaust. Does anyone know where I can find an Audio file of the exhaust. I've used the search function and was unable to come up with anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSurfer

If you want to count dollars then it would be $5,200.00 (SC, thanks to you and Exhaust) for about 95hp increase to the wheels.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:00 AM

Those with SCs are the ones complaining and asking for technical assistance in a wide variety of areas (me included)
Old 05-15-2001, 06:33 AM

I was going to start a new thread with some Comptech exhaust questions, but I'll post here instead (hope all you Comptech exhaust owners had the "email notification" block checked)

Until recently, the ambient air temps where I live have been all over the place - 50 at night 80s in the day, 60 one day 80 the next day. When the ambient temps have been hot (and humid) the exhaust note is a lot louder and sounds more strained, like it's not flowing as smoothly. Performance has also been poor when it's hot - weak throttle response, poor acceleration, bogs when going from a standing start. The weather has been more consistent lately in the 60s and low 70s and the car is running great, the exhaust is quieter.

Can/does the exhaust note change just based on the ambient temperature, or is it more a function of how the engine is running? In other words if the engine is running bad, the exhaust sounds bad. Is it a combination of the two, some engine, some temp effects on exhaust? It is not clear to me the relationship between the exhaust gas temp and the external ambient temp. What have been some of you guys experiences?
Old 05-15-2001, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by Jaykkub
I'm thinking about getting the Comptech Exhaust. Does anyone know where I can find an Audio file of the exhaust. I've used the search function and was unable to come up with anything. Thanks in advance.
Jay, here is an MPEG of a SC'd S2K with Comptech Exhaust WOT down the front straight....

Here you go!
Old 05-15-2001, 07:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
Originally posted by SilverSurfer

Yes, you see, you left that little tidbit out. It makes more sense for someone with a SC to do this than someone without. For a NAS2K that mod would defeat the purpose of upgrading. Sorry, but I can't keep track of who has a SC and who doesn't and I am sure neither can most folks on the board.
Thanks Dad , I am glad that you approve....seriously though, there are people out there that feel the Comptech Exhaust is a little too loud at low RPM's therefore I wanted to let them know about this. I realize it may hinder performance a bit but if you already have the exhaust and do not want to spend another 500-1000 for another setup this is a good alternative. Even if they have NA S2K.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:37 AM

SilverSurfer,

Does your car have the inserts installed in that MPEG?

I too think the exhaust gets a little boomy between 3K and 4K with the top up (and even causes some interior rattling because of the resonance). It sounds great with the top down though.

I talked to Comptech a while ago and they told me the inserts were available. It would be nice to get rid of the boominess but not at the cost of the horsepower.
Old 05-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just throwing in my 2 cents, but I think all the exhausts sound "boomy" between 3k to 4k. My Amuse and Scot's HKS does exactly the same thing.

Quick Reply: Comptech Exhaust Owners