S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech CAI, different filter?

Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foam fliter has been shown to filter dust particles smaller than 10 microns... And also it has been shown that small quantities of dust particles samaller than 10 microns have no significant effect on engine wear. Another thing is to use the right oil for filter. The oil for the K&N will break-down foam filter!! Stick with uni oil for the comptech foam filter. Remember it's the oil that trap the fine dust particles!!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like for our Comptech CAI, if we went with a AFE filter, 20-55507 is the
right part #.
5 1/2-inch flange
7 inch length
4 3/4-inch top diameter.
That would fit in the box nicely.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:42 PM

russ,

i can't remember which K&N i'm using but it was the larger one which required modification to the stock air box. i'm using it now without the comptech housing and it fits against the edge of the engine compartment nicely. no problems.

-ric
Old 02-06-2004, 08:58 AM

Looks like for our Comptech CAI, if we went with a AFE filter, 20-55507 is the
right part #.
5 1/2-inch flange
7 inch length
4 3/4-inch top diameter.
That would fit in the box nicely.

Where can we order these from? this is better then the one comptech has on already?
Old 02-07-2004, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by topcat7111
Foam fliter has been shown to filter dust particles smaller than 10 microns... And also it has been shown that small quantities of dust particles samaller than 10 microns have no significant effect on engine wear. Another thing is to
Old 02-07-2004, 03:37 PM

By that study, it looks as though the OEM paper filters didn't filter that much better than the gouze or foam filters. Paper/OEM filters still let dirt through. What's the point? Or am I missing something?

Kris
Old 02-07-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not how I interpreted the guy's analysis; plus I detailed the results of my own study. Not sure where the disconnect is.

"Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed. I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters. This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much. I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important. Really, it is up to each individual to decide. The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though. I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think. "
Old 02-07-2004, 05:00 PM

The disconnect is by looking at the dirt all over the filter material he used to test the filters. Every one of them was quite dirty. Yes, the K&N and Amsoil filters were quite a bit darker, but they all let dirt through enough for you to see it. Lots of it. He only tested them for 500 miles too. I was expecting it to be relatively clean using the paper filters, but it wasn't.

As a side note, Apex-i makes the best aftermarket performance filters you can buy. I read a test on it a while back vs K&N and a bunch of others. It was the best filtering performance filter you could find while flowing better than paper.

EDIT: Found the link. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Kris
Old 02-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Side note, Pilot, that link is one of the most popular links when trying to ascertain
performance filter quality but it is only one isolated test. It cannot be used (though
unfortunately, continues to be) as the only reference for filter quality. The Racing
Akimoto Series IV is a better filter than the Apexi (my .02) but wasn't involved
in the test, nor were many others.
That's like saying the Suzuka is the fastest color for S2000's since a stock
'02 once hit 206 on one dyno pull.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:22 AM

so in the end, it comes down to a few microns of dirt? change your oil fairly frequently and you should be fine...as long as hampsters and snakes aren't getting in, a little dirt shouldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: Comptech CAI, different filter?