S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech Cai

Old 06-10-2002, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech Cai

Just installed my new comptech CAI!!! My hood doesn't seem to close like it used to. I think the carbon fiber lid is hitting, but I put pressure on it to hold it down like comptech suggested. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, does anyone worry about any of these clamps coming loose? I couldn,t believe that there were 5!
Old 06-11-2002, 01:56 AM

Its the larger center tube thats bumping the hood not the cover, well the cover kinda does but its just rubbing the hood heat blanket push pin. You'll start to notice a small circle rub mark on the cover in a few days. Just push down on the tube gently, it only has to go back down about 1/8-1/4 of an inch. Nothing to worry about. Its all good.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:10 AM

My Comptech CAI fit like shit. I had to cut part of the insulation off the hood, and cut the front part of the carbon fiber lid off to make the hood close. It does not look bad, just a pain. And, yes, I pushed the box down as far as it would go. After bending the back mounting bracket, the box is sitting on the cross brace for the frame. Sounds nice, though.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:22 PM

What about performance? Sounds like more pain than gain.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:20 PM

there is definately more midrange power but I lost the vtec boost that I used to have around 6500 rpm. It is still there, you just don't notice it as much because of the low end gain. I felt no power gain in vtec
Old 06-11-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by kingkong
What about performance? Sounds like more pain than gain.

Its very easy to install, the design could use a little work maybe a tad smaller tubing but its nothing to worry about. If I had to do it over again I would still buy the Comptech CAI.

I like it.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, I drove mwilly's S and there is a very noticable gain from about 1500 to 6000 rpms. The car really pulls now from 2nd gear and and about 20 MPH. You can really feel, and hear, the difference. Did not notice much difference on the highway though. We will need to cut a slot in the CF lid to let the hood rod sit lower. We took out the rod and the hood closed perfect. The CF lid is a poor design but with some work as others have had to do, it should be perfect.

My Comptech intake should be here next week and I have Comptech exhaust comming to, so I will be able to let everyone know what thier exhaust does with the intake.

Darkknight, how did you paint to the lettering on the Pipe?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:06 PM

I applied 5 coats of high gloss model paint. I let it dry over night after each coat. I did it before I put it on the car. You'll have to do it before you install it, because the paint well run. An even if it doesn't run the thin coat that you apply first might look like crap after its been heated by the engine. So I would suggest painting it first.

BTW you need a very steady hand as well. hehehe but you knew that. When you apply each coat let to bubble up to look like "bubble letters". Reason being is it will dry thicker and it won't show any brush marks. and thats a good thing.

Make sure you get Enamel paint not Acylic.

-DK
Old 06-12-2002, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Darkknight, what do think about the power curve change with CAI. Does your S feel about the same as we have described. Lo end gain but do not feel much on top?
Old 06-13-2002, 07:13 PM

I posted a thread on this.

Two mechanics and I could not believe the poor design. For this CAI to be $150.00 more than some of the others is insane. I am not sure if I am going to return it or try to do something with that center tube. Make some sort of harness to hold it to the crossbrace.

Who knows? If this thing is $350.00 due to all the design work then they owe me $300.00. I will let them keep $50.00 for all the plastic they sent me.

Quick Reply: Comptech Cai