S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech CAI

Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech CAI

Hey everyone,
do any of you have the comptech unit? And if so does it cause a lot of vibration under full throttle? Also, I cant seem to get mine to fit perfectly. There is a groove in the carbon fiber lid for the hood stand, and it doesnt align like it should. It just seems kinda loose, although i've tightened everything like i should. ANy comments?
Also, there is a bolt for the air box that goes through the fender wall, but the trick is a metal strip that is supposed to be on the inside of the fender. SUpposedly you are supposed to align that metal strip with the hole in the fender, as well as the small bolt provided but I cant seem to do it.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be no vibration - but given that it sounds like you left out a few fasteners, I would expect that you do have some vibration issues.

The white plastic piece on the end of the hood stand often needs slight trimming to fit into the slot in the box cover. Proper trimming/shaving will not affect the functionality of the stand.

The nut goes on the inside of the fender. The nut has a short metal tab attached to it to allow you to hold the nut in place with your fingers - otherwise you would have a hard time positioning the nut to thread the bolt.

Think of it as a handle for the nut, as you reach into the hole in the fender, you should be holding the metal strip/tab/handle and aligning the nut with the existing hole in the fender and the hole in the airbox.

It is important that you use all the attachment hardware and make sure the airbox is tight and secure. I assume you have Comptech's instruction sheets, or you can download it from their site.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vibration noise depends on if you have the old box. My intake vibrated for more than a year. Then I had heard of the updated box. I called Comptech and they sent me the new box and lid since the rubbing destroyed the finish on the lid. The new box on the inboard side measured almost a 1/2" (lower) difference at spots. Changed it as soon as I got it and no noise. The new box was harder to install than the old one. This also made it easier to use the hood prop, but you still need to wiggle it in and out. I also removed the clip holding the hood pad on that is over the box since it left a mark on the lid within 5 miles.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

so the new comptech cai box DOES NOT vibrate?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine from Comptech in September of this year, and I have no vibration or resonance. I had also read before I purchased mine about people getting scuffs on the lid of the CAI from it rubbing on the underside of the hood, but mine doesn't touch the hood, hence no scuff mark on my lid. I have been extremely happy with the CAI.. the sound is amazing!!