S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech Air Water Aftercooler campatible Blow off Valve or Pop off valve?

Old 11-16-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Turbonetics Godzilla BOV on my car. I think it is the biggest BOV you can buy. There is no performance gain from it. We had it on the dyno at comptech and went back and forth with it and there small plastic unit the Comptech kit comes with. It does look cool and sounds great, that is about it. It does not work like a standard BOV for a turbo. When used for a supercharger, it is called a bypass valve. The valve only works when you are not under boost (not accelerating). Its purpose is to relieve extra air from your system when you are not under boost. Otherwise your supercharger is pumping extra air in your system all the time, but your injectors think you are just cruising. The only down side to this mod is when you are just cruising around on the freeway or in town you will always hear the BOV. That is why I do not recommend a super loud one like I have. I would recommend the turbonectis raptor. It looks the same as the Godzilla, but is half the size. I can talk to Turbonetics to see if they could make an adapter for the BOV that way you do not have to worry about having anything welded. The adapter would only work with a turbonectics unit though. If you guys are interested I could start a group buy. Here is a picture of my engine bay with the BOV, as you can see it is a tight fit. I have a Speaco Radiator, so there would be at least an extra inch and a half of clearance if you have a stock Radiator.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:56 PM

Your post was just in time as I was getting ready to purchasing the Godzilla bov or bypass valve.
If a turbonectis raptor is better suited by all means count me in for one with a compatible bolt pattern.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 PM

Ok cool, I will speak with turbonetics tomorrow and get the best pricing on both units. I will let will post tomorrow the pricing for a group buy if people are interested.
Andrew
Old 11-16-2003, 09:19 PM

i'm interested depeding on price.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:46 AM

Tech2drew, I'm am really glad you posted. Shad at Comptech said that the BOV only works correctly if you still use their relief valve. He said that your BOV was still letting pressure to be applied to the throttle body. How did you finally hook it up to get around that.

Are you still running the underdrive pulley that they used in the Car and Driver article? Also, from what you are saying the BOV is only for the sound correct?

I am only asking because I have just polished my aftercooler and am ready to put it on, and I was going to buy a BOV and put it on and the same time.

Thanks so much for your input. Jeff
Old 11-17-2003, 05:39 PM

after reading all these messages i still dont know who makes the bov that i can put on my comptech does and body know the name of the company who makes it??
mike...
Old 11-17-2003, 09:06 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

here's the Turbonetics website if it helps http://www.turboneticsinc.com/
Old 11-19-2003, 05:29 PM

Sorry I've taken so long to reply. I spoke with turbonetics and the only bov that is a direct fit is the godzilla unit I have. The raptor unit is a 2 bolt flange, so it will not bolt on. They are talking to their tech department to see if they can make the 4 bolt flange work on the raptor bov. I will let you guys know as soon as turbonetics gets back to me. I'm still running the pulley that was used for the car and driver test. It has worked great with zero issues.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:30 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Tech2Drew
Sorry I've taken so long to reply. I spoke with turbonetics and the only bov that is a direct fit is the godzilla unit I have. The raptor unit is a 2 bolt flange, so it will not bolt on. They are talking to their tech department to see if they can make the 4 bolt flange work on the raptor bov. I will let you guys know as soon as turbonetics gets back to me. I'm still running the pulley that was used for the car and driver test. It has worked great with zero issues.
Why isn't the godzilla working for you?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 PM

What size pulley are you running?
What boost level does it put out?

Quick Reply: Comptech Air Water Aftercooler campatible Blow off Valve or Pop off valve?