S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Compression results and suggestions

Old 04-09-2021, 10:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan
I expected a bent or burnt valve to show way less than 180 psi. But im not sure how a valve adjustment can really help this unless it was actually leaving it slightly open during its cycle. I am almost hoping it could be some carbon build up on the back of the valve and hoping some seafoam could clean it up.
Depends on how burnt or bent, there is degrees of severity. A valve that is too tight wont seat all the way to varying degrees depending on how tight, and of course that can burn them up over time as well. If the valve seals leak oil and or run a crappy tune with overly rich fueling, that can leave deposits that could hang the valve up some, but that's typically the least likely on this motor in my experience to build up that much in the way of deposits to hang the valve up, eps with just 127k miles.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How many miles are on your car? I actually had a similar situation a couple years ago. All my exhaust valves were super tight from the previous owners neglecting valve adjustments. I took the head off and to the machine shop where they discovered all the exhaust valve seats were beat up from the valves being way too tight. They installed new valve seats, I supplied them with Ferrea valves/springs/retainers, and after the head was rebuilt, my compression numbers came back up to what they should have been. The engine had over 140k miles and the cylinder walls didn't look all that great, but it ran great afterward. It even went on to make 560whp with boost on that exact same engine. You'll just have to really dig in and figure out where/why you're losing compression.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
How many miles are on your car? I actually had a similar situation a couple years ago. All my exhaust valves were super tight from the previous owners neglecting valve adjustments. I took the head off and to the machine shop where they discovered all the exhaust valve seats were beat up from the valves being way too tight. They installed new valve seats, I supplied them with Ferrea valves/springs/retainers, and after the head was rebuilt, my compression numbers came back up to what they should have been. The engine had over 140k miles and the cylinder walls didn't look all that great, but it ran great afterward. It even went on to make 560whp with boost on that exact same engine. You'll just have to really dig in and figure out where/why you're losing compression.
I adjusted the valves and took it for a drive, wow what a difference, i have not done a compression test yet but will later this week. I will try some seafoam through it as well to see if it can clean up any carbon. I stuck a camera inside and the valves look fine, no visible damage as i expected since 180 isnt too low.