S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Compression Ratio Questions

Old 01-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Sponsor
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Compression Ratio Questions

I am trying to calculate the dome height for a custom piston order.

I take the Gasket thinkness into consideration correct? (I believe so)
Stock Head gasket is 0.6 mm correct?
What is the stock cylinder head volume?

I had my header ported and polished and they milled my head to get it back to stock head volume and I want to verify what that is?

Thank you...

Old 01-12-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Free bump for you as I can use this info as well.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used 53.6cc as the average size factory combustion chamber. It would be nice to see further reinforcement of these numbers.

53.6cc was from an article by Shawn Church a few years back: Combustion chamber volume on page two.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jurgento,Jan 12 2006, 03:48 PM] I am trying to calculate the dome height for a custom piston order.

I take the Gasket thinkness into consideration correct?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 PM

what is meant by "dome height"?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:04 PM

I have checked 3 different cylinder heads. The combustion chamber volumes ranged from 53.1 to 54.4 cc's.

The "dome height" is the dimensional height of the top of the piston usually measured from the flat portion of the piston to the maximum height of the dome.

I have run high compression pistons with a dome height of 0.320" and 0.365".

The 0.365" domes required some modification so the piston would not hit the ground electrode on the spark plug at high rpm. I recommend that you always check the clearance between the piston and the head when you install an aftermarket piston or if cylinder head modifications were done. An easy way to do this is to place clay on the dome of the piston, bolt on the head and turn the engine by hand. Then remove the head and measure the thickness of the clay with a caliper, etc. and allow 0.040" as a bare minimum.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Sponsor

Thank you for some numbers, my head porter said they had mlled the head to create 54.4 cc chambers. I wanted to see if that was the stock volume.

Can anyone head confirm gasket thickness of 0.6mm and the fact you use that to calculate dome volume?

Thank you for the replys.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Sponsor

Any confirmation on gasket thickness?

Also, do you add this volume created by the gasket thinkness to the head volume to calculate Compression Ratio?

Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 AM

Can anyone head confirm gasket thickness of 0.6mm and the fact you use that to calculate dome volume?
Also, do you add this volume created by the gasket thinkness to the head volume to calculate Compression Ratio?
By dome volume I assume you mean clearance volume, or in other words the volume left when the piston is at TDC. You would add the volume the gasket creates, which is about 3.57 cc's assuming gasket thickness of .6 mm after assembly, to the head volume. Keep in mind that this is just geometrically speaking as opposed to real world practices.

My questions: Why are the heads being milled down? Does the porting and polishing process increase the head volume thus requiring milling to compensate?
Also, I'm assuming your custom pistons have a different shape, so why would you mill the heads back to stock volume instead of a custom volume.If you mill to stock volume your compression ratio will be different.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by NEODYMIUM,Jan 16 2006, 10:07 AM

By dome volume I assume you mean clearance volume, or in other words the volume left when the piston is at TDC. You would add the volume the gasket creates, which is about 3.57 cc's assuming gasket thickness of .6 mm after assembly, to the head volume. Keep in mind that this is just geometrically speaking as opposed to real world practices.

My questions: Why are the heads being milled down? Does the porting and polishing process increase the head volume thus requiring milling to compensate?
Also, I'm assuming your custom pistons have a different shape, so why would you mill the heads back to stock volume instead of a custom volume.If you mill to stock volume your compression ratio will be different.
Assuming stock piston bore of 87mm. If you are going out to 89mm [custom piston?] calculation is:

PI*rsquared*height*conversion factor

Ex. 89mm bore

=3.14159* (89/2)squared* 0.6mm * .001 (conversion from cubic millimeters to cubic centimeters)

=3.82 cc's

Quick Reply: Compression Ratio Questions