S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Complete Review/Guide: J's Engine Torque Damper

Old 06-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete Review/Guide: J's Engine Torque Damper

Just picked up the J's Racing Engine Torque Damper (ETD) from Password:JDM today. Great service there by the way. Took only a few weeks to get it.

The list of parts received/required for proper installation:
ETD Unit
Bracket (engine side)
LHD bracket (shock tower/fuse box)
Allen Bolt (black) connects to the head
Crush Washer for the allen bolt
2x Silver Allen bolts
2x Silver Nuts
Adapter Peice for the nut
J's heatshield or modified OEM/custom peice

I was honestly expecting a straight through breeze of an install but instead I got a 3 hour struggle.

The only thing I was expecting based on advice offered by fellow s2ki member, s2x, was modifying the j's racing heatshield to fit properly.

The install started off very easy. Took off the stock heatshield in no time and then proceeded to test fit the ETD. This was when I ran into the biggest problem. The LHD bracket did not fit the vehicle without something behind modified. This was not the simple bolt on installation I was led to believe in many s2ki threads.

This LHD bracket does not simply bolt onto the vehicle. There is a welded bracket for the fuse box to bolt onto. This bracket was suggested to be removed by only two other s2ki members. In all the threads that I read, everyone had said that it would be a simple install, straight foward and bolt on. In order for the ETD fit, one has to make a custom bracket completely defeating the purpose of using the LHD bracket in the first place OR modify/remove the stock bracket welded onto the shock tower. Instead of completely removing this peice, my friend decided to bend the bracket down so that it was sandwhiched. Doing so, gave enough clearance to fit the LHD bracket supplied by J's.

Another problem we encountered but not suprised was the J's racing heatshield. This extremely poor fitting peice was more headache than it is worth, $60. I would highly suggest you to modify your oem peice instead of using this peice of crap. Only two of the side bolts line up, and you have to bang it to oblivion in order to make it clear your choice of header. This car had a spoon header making things easier. I can't imagine how bad you have to mutilate this peice to make it clear a header with a heatshield such as stock or mugen. The middle two holes have to be modified, ala drilling in order to make it fit properly. Once again, stay away from this peice. If you want a bling bling shiny heatshield, then strip the paint off your oem one and use that instead. The j's heatshield is simply not worth the money, time, and effort to make it correctly fit. I really do not understand why they would sell such a junky product to the public.

Review of the product:
Took it out for the test drive and only felt one significant different. The shifter does not vibrate as much at idle. It is much smoother while driving also.

Shifting impressions are unchanged, and there is no feel of a difference when driving the car. Throttle response is also the same.

I honestly would not recommend to this product to anyone unless they are looking to make their engine bay look pretty. There are much better things to spend your money on.

I also cannot get over the fact that the heat shield was probably designed by a 5 year old based on how it fits and how much modification it needs for a proper install.

/ 5

Note: Install was done on a '02 s2000. There will be more fitment issues with 02+ s2000s due to the changes in the ac lines. Just a slight bend in the bottom line is all you need for it to clear.

I'll provide some pics in the up and coming days.

If you have any questions, you can pm me or post in this thread.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd give it at least a and a HALF
Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 AM

I like that you gave your honest opinion on this, and not just rode the JDM bandwagon.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You popped my balloon I wanted this gizmo

Do you think a turn buckle would do as well if not better than the J's ETD?
When I was doing the American hot rod thing we just added a turn buckle or chain to the torque side of the engine to keep it from moving or braking a motor mount.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, what's a turnbuckle? I love hotrod engineering.

The damper is not so much a safety issue like with a big V8 in a 1920's chassis, but a vibration quelling and torque transference thing.

I really hate when companies like J's release a product that looks like it was made in an equal opportunities factory in China but charge like it was made by engineers at Nasa.

You can pick up these dampers at most performance shops and make your own brackets (out of turnbuckles if you like ) and it'll probably be easier than fitting this dog of a product.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I personally don't think you need anything at all. The S2000 motor mounts are stiff enough that anything else that is done to the engine to prevent it from shaking will only yeld very very minor improvements. I couldn't notice a thing different, downshifting and upshifting are as smooth and crisp as before...waste of time and money. But at least it looks cool yo!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

QUOTE by:AusS2000 "I really hate when companies like J's release a product that looks like it was made in an equal opportunities factory in China but charge like it was made by engineers at Nasa".
no truer words spoke $1500.00 for a header when you can buy a set of headers for most U.S. cars for a few hundred.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
vvs

I am sure you can fab up some stiffer motor mounts. Not sure if Hasport or anyone else makes them or inserts etc..
Old 06-14-2005, 12:30 PM

I don't think that using the bolts for the vtec solenoid assembly would be a wise idea as those bolts are very fragile.

I would try to pick a better location where you can use a high grade bolt to handle the stress.

Quick Reply: Complete Review/Guide: J's Engine Torque Damper