S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

COMPETITION STAGE 5 SLIPPAGE

Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COMPETITION STAGE 5 SLIPPAGE

Hey Guys.
I recently installed a stage 5 Competition clutch and I have done just over 500 miles.
Under full throttle in 1st gear, the clutch slips from around 7000 RPM. Shift into 2nd and the same thing at about the same RPM
once in 3rd, the clutch is fine.
Now I had the same problem with my stage 4, and decided to replace with stage 5.
The other thing to note, is that the clutch pedal's travel from fully released to fully depressed is quite short.
Does it make sense to say that if I adjusted the clutch pedal slightly higher that it could increase the pressure in the system?
And should this possibly be the reason for slipping, by how much should I raise the clutch pedal?

I will have to also do a search on how to actually do this adjustment.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you should raise the clutch. Right how it is not fully engaging when you let off the pedal.

Its a very simple proceedure.

1. Locate the pushrod that connects your pedal to the master cylinder.
2. Locate and loosen the locking nut on the threaded end closest to the pedal.
3. Now the shaft should spin freely. Spin it counter clockwise to back it off of the plunger inside the master cylinder. (there should be a small ammount of play before you feel pressure.
4. Once at the desired location just hold the shaft and tighten down the locking nut.

You may have to adjust the bump stop for the pedal now that you have moved the pedal farther out. it is located on the top side of the pedal under the dash. Same principle.

Also always good to rebleed incase there was air in the system or if you have not done it in a while. You can replace your fluid while your at it by taking a syringe or turkey baster and removing the fluid from the resivoir and refilling.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the speedy reply bud.
Let me try this out and see if it resolves the slippage.
How much should I raise the pedal? Do I stop once I feel pressure in the rod?

Also, I bled the clutch when we fitted the stage 5, but it was some time back. About 8 months or so.
Would it be necessary to re-bleed or I suppose after the adjustment I would be able to tell

Thanks again for your kind assistance.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raise the pedal so that you have 1-2 inches of free play before you start to feel pressure.

So foot off the pedal. Then place your foot lightly on the pedal. As you begin to push down the first 1-2 inches should be free play. Just adjust the rod untill you have the free play.

As far as bleeding it, just see how it feels after the adjustment. If it feels squishy or inconsistant then it never hurts to rebleed.