S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Competition Clutch LWFW and stage 4 clutch issue

Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competition Clutch LWFW and stage 4 clutch issue

I bought my car last May with a Competition Clutch LWFW and stage 4 clutch(6 puck)(on stock power). The previous owner was planning to go turbo but ending up selling. About 3-4 months ago I noticed the cluch pedal would stick at the top of the throw at high rpm shifts(above 5k). I did the slave cleanup DIY and it seemed to help but after about a week was back to the way it was before.

Then as it got colder in the mornings I'd have to push really hard on the clutch pedal to get it to go down then it was ok but if I was on the highway it would stick until I pushed it again. So about a month ago the cluch started slipping(was installed end of 2011) and I'm thinking initally that's some bullshit. After I looked more into the puck clutches I learn they're not designed to last long so it was a little more understandable.

This past weekend I decided to pull the tranny and see what exactly was going on. After I get the tranny dropped I see the throwout bearing could be jiggled around!?!? and the clutch looked to have a little life left!?! After getting the clutch assembly down the throwout bearing had nothing noticabily wrong from what I could tell. What would cause the throwout bearing to not be snug withing the pressure plate?? The fingers in the presure plate looked normal as well, no noticable bending or distortion.

As of now I have ordered a new clutch disk(stage 3) and throwout bearing but I wasnt planning on replacing the pressure plate. Just hoping I can figure out the problem before I put it back together to hopefully not have to disassemble again. Any help is appreciated.

I would post pics but my phone is acting up and wont send an email to save my life.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The throwout bearing is going to wiggle around unless the transmission is mounted to the engine and the fork is "clipped" onto the throwout bearing. The throwout bearing guide that is mounted to the transmission (it surrounds the input shaft, is held on by 3 little bolts) is what holds the bearing center when everything is assembled. My guess from your explanation would be that when the clutch was replaced previously, the throwout bearing and throw out bearing guide were not greased properly which can cause the "dragging" sensation and in severe cases can make disengaging the clutch difficult. Check the throwout bearing guide for scarring and discoloration from heat (blueish marks).
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check this when I get home. If this is the case should I replace that guide which I belive is #1 below?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep #1. I bought a new one to throw on with my new clutch disk and throw out bearing (switching from ACT disk to OEM disk with my HD pressure plate). Im pretty convinced it'll help the clutch pedal feel smoother with a new guide. Mine was pretty rough looking after 100k miles. I recommend using Honda Urea grease on the bearing, guide, and splines on the input shaft. The inside of the throw out bearing has a groove that needs to be packed with grease the whole way around. This should ensure smooth operation for a long time.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Don't just replace the guide, inspect it for wear marks first.

Get rid of the competition clutch if you want your problems to end. Their track record is horrible in the S2000 and I will never install one again.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had comp stage 4 for 5000 miles. Had some of your same issues. Also some other bullshit stuff. Got sick of it and ripped it out. Went back to OEM and am lovin life.