S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Common Problem - MisFire Codes

Old 07-11-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just took my car in with CEL today and they tellin me that they are gettin misfire code in cyl 1 and now they want me to authorize them to do a tear down of the head so they can see the damage. thats 1700$ incl. machine shop just to "see" the damage. i dont know how the heck that can be because i havent done any jack@$$in around eversince i misshifted and bent valves in dec. (2800$) so i learned my lesson. now they sayin its probably the same or similar thing. right now im waiting for the warranty people to b contacted.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ShMooveS2k,Jul 11 2006, 04:39 PM
well i just took my car in with CEL today and they tellin me that they are gettin misfire code in cyl 1 and now they want me to authorize them to do a tear down of the head so they can see the damage.
They should be doing a sequential diagnostics and analysis as outlined in the service manual. A tear down isn't one of them. Only after all the proper diagnostics and tests have been done would you even think about opening it up.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShMooveS2k,Jul 11 2006, 03:39 PM
well i just took my car in with CEL today and they tellin me that they are gettin misfire code in cyl 1 and now they want me to authorize them to do a tear down of the head so they can see the damage. thats 1700$ incl.
Sounds like they want your money.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShMooveS2k,Jul 11 2006, 02:39 PM
well i just took my car in with CEL today and they tellin me that they are gettin misfire code in cyl 1 and now they want me to authorize them to do a tear down of the head so they can see the damage. thats 1700$ incl. machine shop just to "see" the damage. i dont know how the heck that can be because i havent done any jack@$$in around eversince i misshifted and bent valves in dec. (2800$) so i learned my lesson. now they sayin its probably the same or similar thing. right now im waiting for the warranty people to b contacted.
Go to another dealer.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took it to pacific honda ill go looks round for another dealer ima see first what they gonna say tomorrow. thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 PM

well its been another day of beautiful performance.

I filled her up today with and poured about 1-2 ounces of the remaining fuel system cleaner into the tank.

got my fingers crossed. Hopefully i wont have to put it in the shop
Old 07-13-2006, 04:14 PM

oh well i thought i had a good thing going. The car has never run so well, but yesterday on the way home, in busy PCH traffic the CEL came on again. I checked the codes with my trusty paperclip and got 1,3,4 misfires. I put everything back to as close to stock as i could, i just need to get the header changed out this weekend. I'm so over this CEL shit....Monday I want to drop it at the dealer for service. I hope i get a loaner....fukka CEL
Old 07-13-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I predict injector replacement based on all the tea leaves I have seen on this topic. What you are seeing based on my experience is lean misfires caused by the injectors sticking closed at idle. Otherwise the car runs great as you explained.

I state this even though I know the moderators will shoot me down to claim something like this without going through the "proper" trouble shooting procedures...

But I will agree that the root cause to this is still not truly known? Is there something up stream from the injectors that is at fault? There does seem to be a very small trend of this problem for MY00 - MY02 cars in the 45-65k mile range. I'd sure love to know what the dealers see on this, we'll never know.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 PM

wonder why so sudden though....wierd
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday, they checked everything "supposedly" from the outside. said it needed the plugs changed again and that the valves were out of adjustment. the exhaust valves in particular. they are suppose to be buttoning everything up this morning, i hope this is the end of my nightmare.

Quick Reply: Common Problem - MisFire Codes