S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The color of my cv grease

Old 06-04-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The color of my cv grease

Look at my outer joints , if the grease is supposed to be green like the inner joints then this means they are both f-ed
left

right

any tips on how to get these off?? im running out of ideas
Old 06-04-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, the outters are supposed to be black...but yours could use a cleaning and some new stuff...it doesn't hurt...

don't bother trying to get the outters off...just clean them by pulling the boot down...they are basically impossible to get off.

and also, the inner stuff is NOT supposed to be green, it is supposed to be an off white/tan color...or better yet crayola goldenrod
Old 06-04-2005, 09:25 PM

thanks for the reply i thought no one was gonna respond.

If the outers are really supposed to be black then its a big relief for me, because i was about to order new drivehafts seeing as how the price of inner+outer=driveshaft.

I already gave up on trying to get the outers off, and repacked them with redline cv grease. But i managed to tear the boot on one of them and now am looking for a boot, ill prolly have to wait till monday because i neither autozone or advance auto parts has them for the s2k, im going to see if one for a prelude or other honda model will fit because those might be available on sunday.

again thanks
Old 06-05-2005, 12:57 AM

I noticed everyone working on their CV's are using Redline CV grease. I went to the local parts store and they didn't carry it. Where's the best place to buy Redline CV grease?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:47 AM

redline has its own dealers, goto their webpage and you can find one near you.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:42 AM

for those interested there is a cv boot at advance auto parts which will fit on the outer rear cv joint with not too much trouble. I will post pics and part numbers as soon as i get everything back together.

The larger diameter is almost perfect while the inner diameter needs to be stretched slightly (nowhere near high stress levels). The clamps supplied wont work in our application to some universal clamps should be used. Also the length is a bit more than oem but it should be ok as a temporary fit untill you can get oem parts.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM

here are the pics of the non oem boot side by side with the oem boot, the advance auto parts part number is 6-2342, at it seems to fit allright.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM

btw up there oem on the left non oem on the right.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see what you mean...that isn't a bad temp fix...however PERSONALLY I'd rather the OEM on there, it just looks like it fits better.

but anyway, glad stuff workedo out for you, I had the same reaction as you and took pics right away, I was servicing my CV joints...I made a thread about a clunking noise about a month ago, pics are in there...but I did the same thing...opened the outers and thought to my self holt $hit!!! haha...but then when I bought new OEM grease and the outer stuff was black I was somewhat shocked again
Old 06-06-2005, 05:19 AM

thanks again man, i really benefited from your input, i would have prolly shelled out $800 for some new driveshafts of you hadnt given the info to me.

Yeah the other cv boot is only going to be used as temporary till i get an oem one, prlly tommorow or later today. This will mean that i have taken the cv's out of my car three times in the last week, which is a bit crazy. But atleast i know that everything is torqued to spec, whish is more that what you can say for some shops.

did everything work out for you in the end?

my car is like butter now.

Quick Reply: The color of my cv grease