S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cold weather clutch/gearbox issues

Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather clutch/gearbox issues

So I lent my DD to my neighbor today so I took out the s2000 to go to work (It was about 20 degrees F in NJ this morning). When I got in the car the clutch felt very weird and was almost all the way to the floor before I felt any resistance. I tried shifting the car in to gear and it was very difficult. I eventually got it and I went on my way. I got on the highway and I came up to a red light. When it went green I couldn't get my car into gear (any gear). I had to put my four-ways on for 2 minutes while I tried to get it into gear. It went in eventually and I was on my way. I avoided lights and made it home safely...

What the hell happened? I don't drive the car that much and the last time I drove it and put it in the garage (been in the garage for 2 weeks - nice and warm in there), the clutch and everything was fine. I mean the clutch isn't great (oem clutch 60k miles) but I've never had issues with it slipping or not being able to shift into gear...

Any ideas as to what happened? Why did the clutch just completely fail like that? Can it be restored? I really don't have $800 at the moment to replace a clutch. I've seen a few forum posts on similar problems but they seem to be kinda old...Just looking for the most up-to-date advice on the topic. That way someone can use this in the future.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Check the CMC if its leaking behind the pedal and if your low on fluid.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 AM

ok I will check both out. What would cause that to happen just sitting in my garage? Or did it happen when I got in it and pushed the clutch down?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What year is your car? The CMC is really only good for about 10 years, or so I've heard. I had to replace mine on my 01 two years ago.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Suck out ALL of that existing clutch fluid. Wipe that reservoir dry with some paper towels. Refill with new fluid.

CMCs leak. I'll bet if you go under your dash and put your finger on the rod connected to your clutch pedal that there is fluid on it.

Please post back your findings....
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Yep sounds like the clutch master ...or slave cylinder. Seals do go bad. Replace them both to be safe. You could technically diagnose which one it is if your savvy and not behind a computer like us. Sometimes its both, but for the minimal cost it just makes sense to replace both. If one has gone out it wont be long before the other goes bad and your back in the same boat again.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. So I got home and I checked the master cylinder...it was complete sludge (not that much though, it was well below the minimum fill line). I guess I just never checked it since getting the car 3 years ago So I sucked all of the sludge out and used a paper towel to remove any excess. I then filled the reservoir with new fluid. I pumped it a bunch and tested it out...the clutch feels twice as high as high as it was before, the thing flies through the gears like butter (like it never did before). I then took it for a drive and it shifted and grabbed like it never has before...

No leaks under the hood, some sludge build-up noticeable on the master cylinder as seen from the inside of the car. I put down cardboard on the ground and pumped the shit out of the clutch and no signs of leaking...what's going on? Where did the fluid go? I mean I never checked it since I got it but it had to have been in there at some point in the past ten years.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Check inside the cabin, right behind the clutch pedal where it connects to the master cylinder. It probably leaked onto your carpet.

Now would be a good time to flush the complete system. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/993...ravity-method/
Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Nice of you to post back.

Listen, that fluid didn't just evaporate. It's in your carpet and maybe on your shoes.

Great job with getting it fixed.

Now, how's your brake fluid?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Yeah it is on my carpet but I've checked since refilling it and nothing since. And I've been really pumping the clutch. Why would it leak before and not since?

Quick Reply: Cold weather clutch/gearbox issues