S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cold start noise - Year 2000 AP1 - Short clip inside

Old 12-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cold start noise - Year 2000 AP1 - Short clip inside

Dear all,

I finally got around to record this, it's been bothering me lately and it's only evident on the first start / cold start of the day. You'll hear it, it sounds like "KEEEEEEEEEE" and then goes away immediately. It's never to be heard again.

Please check out the short clip below. What is it? Thanks!

Old 12-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi I wasn't able to view your video but your description sounds like the starter hanging up for a few seconds. It is a common problem where the grease in the bendix dries out. You could pull the starter and regrease or replace the starter with a new one or just live with the very brief noise.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:39 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by jwbavalon
Hi I wasn't able to view your video but your description sounds like the starter hanging up for a few seconds. It is a common problem where the grease in the bendix dries out. You could pull the starter and regrease or replace the starter with a new one or just live with the very brief noise.
Would you mind trying again? I accidentally had it set as "private" and that's why you couldn't watch it.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I have an ‘07 and the same noise, I changed TCT with a BIllman unit, had valves adjusted and still get the identical noise. So is this really the starter motor? I’ve been dreading posting concerned it was going to be a dry thrust bearing noise or something catastrophic regarding block/trans.

i can deal with regreasing starter I don’t want to deal with internal motor issues. This would be the best Christmas ever if someone will confirm!!!

Last edited by 512S2k; 12-24-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely a sticking starter, it is fairly normal for these cars and is nothing to worry about.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Definitely a sticking starter, it is fairly normal for these cars and is nothing to worry about.
Sounds good to me, thanks! I was just worried because well, for the lack of a better phrase, it's not a pleasant sound that's all.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
I have an ‘07 and the same noise, I changed TCT with a BIllman unit, had valves adjusted and still get the identical noise. So is this really the starter motor? I’ve been dreading posting concerned it was going to be a dry thrust bearing noise or something catastrophic regarding block/trans.

https://youtu.be/lS7x6cetUXU

i can deal with regreasing starter I don’t want to deal with internal motor issues. This would be the best Christmas ever if someone will confirm!!!
I have the same thoughts man. And I'm just glad someone can confirm it isn't motor related. Cause man, you know as well as I do, cold starts sound terrifying. lol
Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Every year when the weather gets cold we see a bunch of these threads start. Years ago I was one of those that started one. They always end up the same way. Its normal. A new starter might make the noise go away, but not for very long.

These aren't cars that like cold weather in many regards. So not much reason to try and fix it, as you won't be driving it that much when its cold enough to make this noise.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Every year when the weather gets cold we see a bunch of these threads start. Years ago I was one of those that started one. They always end up the same way. Its normal. A new starter might make the noise go away, but not for very long.

These aren't cars that like cold weather in many regards. So not much reason to try and fix it, as you won't be driving it that much when its cold enough to make this noise.
I stumbled across more stories on the internet about the cold start noise. Many people are reporting that even after replacing with a new starter, it'll still do it. For some people, the sound occurs at every startup, cold or warm starts.

So I guess I'm actually lucky then.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

sounds like your battery is weak tho. i'd replace my battery if it sounded like that.

Quick Reply: Cold start noise - Year 2000 AP1 - Short clip inside