S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cold Air into a Comptech Air Box?

Old 11-16-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air into a Comptech Air Box?

Has anyone come up with a creative way to get cold are into the comptech air box?
Old 11-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Comptech airbox already draws cold air from the hole in the fender.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4" ducting is NOT dryer vent duct. Also, the tubing stops behind the headlight since there is a brace there that prevents it from being inserted further. It stops about 6" shy of the hole that the CAI draws air from.

The aluminum piece is from Home Depot - gutter part. After these photos, I fastened it along the edge with small black screws.

The last photo shows the second source of cold air into my CT CAI. It routes around the radiator directly into the CAI.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:28 PM

This is exactly what I was hoping to see. Nice pictures. I think I would benefit immediately by cutting out the passenger side air damp duct without having to remove the fender or adding a hose. From what you are saying about the hose stopping short of the air box by 6" because of a brace mean that even fresh air into that fender area would help. The second hose is a little confusing about how you routed it around the radiator directly into the air duct. I will have to look at that area closer. I especially like the Home Depo touch. Why spend 99 buck from someone else selling similar items.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:48 PM

Sweet I was interested in seeing some one do that! ~nate
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 PM

You can simply cut out the faux duct and tape up the bottom of the plastic undertrays--leaves the air no choice but to go up to the intake.

Now if you're running brake ducts.....it's a little more challenging to get air to both the brakes and the intake.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:17 PM

Chiung,
I think you could sell this as a kit.
I know I would buy one just to keep from driving all around town looking for the parts.
I just got back from Home Depot and Lowes without finding the sheet metal piece because I was looking in the Air duct sheet metal place instead of the roof and patio drain gutter area. Neither place had the 4" hose and will still have to figure out where to chase this down.
What did you decide to do with the Driver Side vent?
Old 11-28-2003, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange, but I was reading about how just replacing the "jointed" tubing (similar to ducting in above pictures) with smooth tubes on a Viper adds 5 hp. I am wondering if it would be better to have smooth tubing here. Just a curious point.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:26 AM

You can get cold air like Chiung did without cutting anything! Look at his center grill. It's a shop vac hose. Get a black funnel , a shop vac hose and some zip ties and you have cold ram air into you comptech air box for under $10 in supplies! Snake the hose along the right side of the radiator into the airbox, there is an opening already in the front of the comptech box that the hose will fit into! Watch out for deep water though, I speak from experience!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fanman
Strange, but I was reading about how just replacing the "jointed" tubing (similar to ducting in above pictures) with smooth tubes on a Viper adds 5 hp.

Quick Reply: Cold Air into a Comptech Air Box?