S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cold Air Intakes: Is There A Defininitive Answer?

Old 05-14-2002, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intakes: Is There A Defininitive Answer?

Don't mind spending the money but I want PERFORMANCE not Noise! As a matter of fact I would prefer that it be on the quiet side since this car is loud enough already! Best CAI on the market today? Is there a definitive answer?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:30 AM

It depends on where you're looking for the added performance. The Mugen CAI is pretty quiet, but designed really well. I believe it's made for the track versus all the others. AEM and Injen are nice too, similar power gains, but they are loud. Comptech is pretty sweet too. Not too loud either. The new PRM CAI is interesting, and so far IMO looks like the best value for the buck. I'm assuming that all other intakes besides Mugen are more for 1/4 mile runs. I really can't say since I still have the stock intake and am currently looking for a good CAI myself.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:08 AM

Well..... I have the CT CAI and its not much louder than stock and adds a nice bit of throttle response. The noise it makes is only louder if its at WOT. My buddy as a AEM CAI on his Maxima and its much louder than than his stock, reason being its inside the inner wheel well which makes the sound echo inside of itself.

Here's a couple of pics of my Comptech CAI....

But remember its your car so build it the way you like it. Cause you'll never get everyone to like and agree with everything you do.

BTW get the Comptech

-DK
Old 05-14-2002, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

darkknight, is your ct intake hitting the bottom of the hood like mentioned on previous threads? where do you feel most hp jump at?
Old 05-14-2002, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by F1 Tech
[B]darkknight, is your ct intake hitting the bottom of the hood like mentioned on previous threads?
Old 05-14-2002, 06:49 PM

I recently installed an Injen CAI and while the install itself required a bit of contorsionism, the result is very satisfactory. I have an Injen short intake on an Acura Integra and it is LOUD anytime I open the throttle -- but it sure makes power! I expected (feared) similar sonic disturbances when I installed the Injen CAI on my 2002, however, was pleasantly surprised to not only feel seat of the pants torque increase, but also learn that the intake is silent until VTEC. Then it really screams, but not at all in an obnoxious manner, rather it amplifies the engine's VTEC howl in a complimentary manner. This is without doubt the nicest sounding, discrete and power-adding CAI I've seen on a Honda/Acura engine.

Mods: Mugen Intake, Mugen Exhaust, Injen CAI (definitely most cost effective!!)
Old 05-14-2002, 09:49 PM

If you look at this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=62284

you will see that I just installed an AEM cold air on my S2k. I had one on my Civic Si and I loved it, that's why I decided to go with the same intake for my S2000. I just installed it today, and being that it's a 2 piece design, the intallation went without a hitch. The AEM is quiet until VTEC, and in my opinion, it gets REALLY loud, beautiful growl.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:52 PM

Does anyone have pics of the Injen CAI installed??? Wondering how it looks and how troublesome the install might be..........
Old 05-15-2002, 04:23 AM

More noise would indicate to me that there is less restriction. Changing an intake is not very difficult but because of the length/shape of the Injen it can be time consuming and cumbersome. That being said, the Injen has the best power results that I have seen from any intake, followed by the AEM. I love the sound of an aluminium intake at WOT.. makes you feel like a man!

Chris
Old 05-15-2002, 02:48 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=61984

The PRM of mine is phenominal and costs about $300 (as completed by me). No cutting and about 30 minutes to install. With the heat wrap around the filter housing, there is no heat soak that I have been able to detect. Good for .2 in the 1/4 so I know it's making very good power at speed with no poor side effects down low. Just another option.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes: Is There A Defininitive Answer?