S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

coilover sounds like it is making popcorn?

Old 12-19-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coilover sounds like it is making popcorn?

so, i have had my tein RA's on for about 3 weeks now. they were perfect until today. note that my car is completely stock except for the coilovers.

today i decided to adjust the ride height, seemed simple enough. just turn the damn adjusters right? that is what i figured. i torqued all the wheels to 75, my wrench only goes up to 75, but that isn't the problem.

i drive off, and everything is fine except for this clicking everytime i go over uneven ground, sounds like the spare tire, but i have no spare tire. ok, i thought it was the liner, so i moved that too, and i still heard it. the noise is coming from passenger rear area.

talked to a friend and he says the springs may have not seated right when i let the car down from the jack or from the adjustment perches. if i was deaf, i wouldn't notice anything cuz the car still drives perfectly under normal driving, i was too scared to push it with the noise.

anyways, if any of you know what it is, i am tired of looking. i just need to know if it is too dangerous for me to let go until a few days when i have time to get under there again. i am too tired right now to mess with it. i even checked where i though the noise was coming from, and everything appeared normal.

SUMMARY:

1. noise from coilovers in passenger rear. when i hit bumps in the road.
2. DEFINITELY NOT : spare tire, or liner, or anything in the trunk.
3. drives normal except for the noise.
4. can i let it go for a few days til i can really have a look at it, cuz i got work, then it is too dark after work for me to work on my car.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:54 PM

it is definitely the passenger rear now, i just checked by driving into my driveway that has a small crack in it. i drove each tire one by one over the crack and when my passenger rear went over it, it made that sound.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:49 PM

fixed it!! the bolt on top that holds the entire coilover got loose, i think when i was adjusting the height, the rotation of the perches rotated the entire body of the coilover, then it loosened the top bolt. i don't know that is my guess, but it is fixed now so you can delete this thread. thanks.