S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coilover Install -- Please Help!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Install -- Please Help!

Hey guys,

I know a coilover install shouldn't be hard, but I've hit a problem that I'm curious if anyone's ran into as well.
I've installed the driver side front coilover, and had no problem with that.
I started the passenger side install, following the same procedure as with the driver side.

When I removed the bottom bolt that holds the shock (the one that goes through the shock 'fork' at the bottom), there was a ton of pressure that pushed the bottom of the shock past the hole where it should be connected. Now I can't get the old spring/shock assembly off of the car so I can put in the new coilover.

The bottom of the shock is now at the point where I can't even get it to line up with it's respective spot.

Bolts I have removed (they've been replaced in the pictures, just because I'm at a standstill):
- 2 control arm bolts
- Brake line bolts
- Bottom perch bolt (the one that I now can't get to line up)

The sway bar stabilizer link has NOT been touched at all.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated with this. Thank you so much guys!

I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO POST MORE PICTURES IF THEY WOULD HELP. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Do you guys think removing the lower control arm is necessary, or would free my trapped strut??
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics didn't show. You should have the front of the car jacked up high enough to take the weight off both front wheels. If the shock fork is wedged tight against the lower control arm, you may have to use a prybar to pop it loose.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Disconnect the end link or get some one to stand on the lower control arm. Because the other side is installed and it is loading up the sway bar.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

you don't need to touch the endlinks or sway bar..

post pics of what is going on with the install. If you have the control arm bolts removed and the 3 bolts for the suspension, you should be able to slide the entire assembly out.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by myclue

post pics of what is going on with the install. If you have the control arm bolts removed and the 3 bolts for the suspension, you should be able to slide the entire assembly out.
Sorry for the delay on the pics, switched to photobucket.

It just seems like there's TONS of pressure pushing down on the lower control arm, enough to where even when standing on it, the shock assembly won't budge. Thanks for the replies thus far.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by biXs2k
Originally Posted by myclue' timestamp='1312942111' post='20863235

Sorry for the delay on the pics, switched to photobucket.

It just seems like there's TONS of pressure pushing down on the lower control arm, enough to where even when standing on it, the shock assembly won't budge. Thanks for the replies thus far.
This sort of happened with me when I installed mine. I just had someone try and stand on the lower control arm... that let up enough pressure for me to thread the bolt through the strut.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 PM

If you have a long pry bar you can stick it between the lower control arm and the subframe and push it down. Done this when I didn't have anyone to help me by standing on the hub.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact problem. What I did was have both wheels jacked up off the ground. Remove the 3 bolts, and remove the sway bar end link. They step down on the brake rotor or pry the entire assembly downward.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 AM

Oh man this sucks! I had it happen to me while doing the install by myself too. Best bet is to find someone to help and have them step down on the rotor while you lift the shock body out. I ended up just cutting the lower portion of the shock fork off with an angle grinder since the shock was toast anyway. Slid right out after that though it will render your shock useless afterwards.

Quick Reply: Coilover Install -- Please Help!