S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coilover Help

Old 09-12-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Help

hey guys...I jsut wanted to know is there any way to adjust ride height without disconnecting either the bottom or the top of the shock to allow it to rotate??

This is for the coilovers that adjust via the bottom perch without messing w/ the preload. Is the only way to adjust the height by removing the bottom bolt or top of the shock???
Old 09-12-2005, 07:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

you have to remove the bottom bolt and the control arm for the fronts if you want to properly adjust the height on coilovers. Just have anoter jack or your spare jack so you can put under the whole brakes to mve it up towards the coilover.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta do it via the lower mount no matter what...

personally, after all the work it takes to remove the bottom you might as well just remove the whole coilover and do them both SIDE BY SIDE so it is equally adjusted
Old 09-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about proper, but you can adjust the height of the perch without taking anything apart(shock mount bolt/upper control arm bolts).

Jack the car up. Remove wheel. Loosen allen bolt. Rotate collar perch. Tighten allen bolt. Replace wheel. Lower car.

Use a glove to get a better grip on the collar without chewing up your hand/fingers. Count rings before and after adjusting to make equal adjustments side-to-side. Just because you set the coilovers up the same off the car does not mean you will get the same drop/rise on the car.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 12 2005, 04:01 PM
Don't know about proper, but you can adjust the height of the perch without taking anything apart(shock mount bolt/upper control arm bolts).

Jack the car up. Remove wheel. Loosen allen bolt. Rotate collar perch. Tighten allen bolt. Replace wheel. Lower car.

Use a glove to get a better grip on the collar without chewing up your hand/fingers. Count rings before and after adjusting to make equal adjustments side-to-side. Just because you set the coilovers up the same off the car does not mean you will get the same drop/rise on the car.
on what? a one collar coilovers? if not, your turning the shock it self, your not doing it properly, you want to turn the bottom bracket (the whole part that connects to the lower control arm) not the shock.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=308337 check out the write up i did to adjusting the height on coilovers.

Project - can you post up what coilovers you have first?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 PM

My reply was based on using GC perches/sleeves. You hold the red sleeve to ensure that it doesn't spin as you rotate the collar to adjust height.

I have GC/Eibach on Konis and we just did a set of GC/Eibachs on Showas this Saturday.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GC is pretty much a build it yourself coilover...

i think Projectssap1 has Teins if im not mistaken...he has adjust them via the lower mount or else the preload will get messed up
Old 09-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Old 09-12-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 12 2005, 04:30 PM
My reply was based on using GC perches/sleeves. You hold the red sleeve to ensure that it doesn't spin as you rotate the collar to adjust height.

I have GC/Eibach on Konis and we just did a set of GC/Eibachs on Showas this Saturday.
ha, good, i understand ya now

If he does have Tein's then you would have to unbolt it from the bottom and turn the bracket. It time consuming, but its the right way to do it.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 12 2005, 04:30 PM

yeah, i guess you could say that we got pretty proficient at it

Quick Reply: Coilover Help